Valued Contributor

Re: Huge Possum In The Yard.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

He was waddling across the yard.  Figure he might be looking for water, there is a small creek a short way from the house.

He must not have noticed there is fresh water on the porch for the outside cats. 

Sometimes at night we have a possum or 2 on the porch eating the cats food.  The poor cats just sat back and watch.

Do you get animals in your yard besides the usual squirrels and chipmunks?

Cats, deer, possums, rabbits, snakes, turtles, frogs, turkeys, fox, raccoons, ground hogs, and I once saw a skunk running through.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Huge Possum In The Yard.

We have occasional possums, squirrels, chipmunks, skunks (had one very young one run down our backyard and right into our pool last year as I just happened to be looking out our sliding door).  Have seen raccoons, turkeys, and always have a herd of about 20 deer in our yard.  

We live just outside of a small town in rural PA. Last week while on my way home from my friend's farm, a young bear walked right out of the woods and across the road a short distance from the front of my car. He was likely a 2 yr old that had been kicked out by his mom due to her having cubs this spring. 

Horse owners definitely don't want to see possums.  They can carry EPM which if contracted by a horse, can be deadly.  So if they're found on my friend's farm, where I board my horses, they're quickly terminated and removed.