Trusted Contributor

14 days in some kind of criminal institutional confinement seems reasonable, considering the prosecution urged the court to sentence her to only one month in prison. If the prosecutor thought 30 days was appropriate, it seems the judge accounted for a first offender, a white collar crime, the confession to avoid trial and her expressed contrition to decide to mitigate the sentence. 

Ms Huffman is also fined $30,000 and required to give 250 hours of community service after incarceration. She will be on supervised probation for one year. I think she has learned a lot from her behavior. 

We don’t need torches and pitchforks. She’s not a monster; she’s a woman who used bad judgment, made bad choices, stepped out of bounds using her money immorally, and ultimately humiliated herself and her family. She’s feeling it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Huffman sentence

[ Edited ]

@sensibleshoppingsoothes wrote:

This thread seems to be bringing out the mean and vindictive side of so many of you.it is terrible that money can buy all sorts of advantages, but if you read more about Felicity H. you'll find out all the very good things she's done.  Also she is contrite and has taken responsibility for her actions.  Not all of us can say we always behave similarly.

I don't think people are mean and vindictive, but rather angry and frustrated with a system that clearly favors the rich. As for Felicity her actions denied a deserving student the place she bought for her daughter. No matter what good she has done it will not negate that, and she should be punished for it. 

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@pdlinda wrote:

@MarkeieMark wrote:

I don't understand poopooing 14 days.  IF I HAD TO SPEND 1 DAY IN PRISON I WOULD HAVE A HEART ATTACK.

I completely agree!  I worked in the criminal justice system for MANY years and went to the jails and prisons very often.

The booking process is grueling and the fact that an inmate has to go to the bathroom (and shower) in PUBLIC would be enough to prevent me from EVER doing anything that was against the law. Also, there is deafening NOISE 24/7 in jail/prison.

Martha Stewart survived; however, she went straight to prison (which is a different system).  Felicity will likely go to a local jail (worse circumstances).

@pdlinda   The jails have the pods where the prisoners commune together right?

Yes, the jails have common space where the women spend time together.

However, because Felicity is such a HIGH PROFILE inmate my belief is that the jail admin will place her in a "segregated" cell where she might stay for 23 hours a day (1 hr recreaction outside cell with no public contact). 

The jail does NOT want such a high profile person at risk from others who might wish to do her harm.

In that case, the cell would have a self-contained sink/toilet that others would ot use;however, the detention officers would do surveillance on her 24/7. 

I would bet that her short stint will make an indelible impression on Felicity.  

Trusted Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@MarkeieMark wrote:

I don't understand poopooing 14 days.  IF I HAD TO SPEND 1 DAY IN PRISON I WOULD HAVE A HEART ATTACK.

She will go to a white collar facility.  No need to have a heart attack.  Martha Stewart spent five months in prison for lying to the fbi.  It is confinement, it is not The Big House.

I can't speak to the prison/jail system in the State of CA but in the State where I reside and worked there is NO SUCH THING as a "white collar" jail/prison setting.  I handled many "high profile" defendants who were of means and their placement was, as I mentioned in another post, to be placed in special segregation which is FAR from comfortable and required being in a cell for 23 hrs. a day.

Maybe CA is different.

Trusted Contributor

As Bob Dylan sings in one of his songs “Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king.”  

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@MarkeieMark wrote:

She will go to a white collar facility.  No need to have a heart attack.  Martha Stewart spent five months in prison for lying to the fbi.  It is confinement, it is not The Big House.

I can't speak to the prison/jail system in the State of CA but in the State where I reside and worked there is NO SUCH THING as a "white collar" jail/prison setting.  I handled many "high profile" defendants who were of means and their placement was, as I mentioned in another post, to be placed in special segregation which is FAR from comfortable and required being in a cell for 23 hrs. a day.

Maybe CA is different.

She was sentenced in a federal court.  There are quite a few white collar federal prisons.

Trusted Contributor

There are federal guidelines that judges have to follow. These are for everybody. She or at least her attorneys had the good sense to walk in immediately and take the plea. There's zero reason to say anyone else would be treated differently.

All of the people in other cases being brought up here seem to be state charges. That's an entirely different situation so you can't compare them at all. If you want to do that then Huffman is doing super long time compared to people with a first DWI.

I think the worst thing you can say about these people is they are garbage parents. Raising entitled kids who just have to go to the school they want and can't handle anything. I always said if I were really rich and had kids it would be a rare situtation when my kids got to do super rich stuff. I'd want them to know they have to work to get out of the cheap seats.

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom   I agree, what is all this teaching the kids? 

Even if they got into the college could they do the work? And how unfair it would be to those who passed the testing! 

There was an Honor society when I was in school. We had to put out honor cards on our desks when taking tests. 

I applied to several colleges as did my son. We were accepted to them all. We worked hard! 

The bribe money would have been better spent on tuition for a school they could attend without cheating. Then, maybe they would all learn something. It wasn’t helping the kids.

@pigletsmom wrote:

There are federal guidelines that judges have to follow. These are for everybody. She or at least her attorneys had the good sense to walk in immediately and take the plea. There's zero reason to say anyone else would be treated differently.

All of the people in other cases being brought up here seem to be state charges. That's an entirely different situation so you can't compare them at all. If you want to do that then Huffman is doing super long time compared to people with a first DWI.

I think the worst thing you can say about these people is they are garbage parents. Raising entitled kids who just have to go to the school they want and can't handle anything. I always said if I were really rich and had kids it would be a rare situtation when my kids got to do super rich stuff. I'd want them to know they have to work to get out of the cheap seats.

Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

These parents broke the law for themselves, not for their kids.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor
When this whole thing first came to light, it was said repeatedly that Felicity wrote the check and Macy “ sat next to her on the sofa” while she wrote it. The daughters are his stepdaughters. He j ew full well what was happening and it was reported they were both going to be charged. Weird to see him on the outside looking in now. His role is now just showing support for Felicity. He also wrote a letter to the judge and it was very sweet.