Honored Contributor

@ms traditional 

You definitely weren't blithering.  I appreciated your post and and I totally agree.  Well said!

Honored Contributor
She is very lucky. The judge had a huge range of options for prison time, fine, probation, etc. she could have gone to prison for years or not at all. She could have very well been made an example of and given overly harsh consequences. Some of the remaining 34 who have been charged must be quaking in their boots as their time in court is coming starting in October. They have no idea what to expect at this point.
Respected Contributor

@jubilant  phew!  i am glad i made some sense!

Respected Contributor

Re: Huffman sentence

[ Edited ]

@ms traditional wrote:

@Oznell  i do feel strongly about preserving our nation's standards that we all strive to live by.  so i hope i wasn't blithering!  thanks for kind words - especially from a capable wordsmith such as you!

Seriously? I agree with everything you said, but looking to a couple of actresses as the compass for the rule of law, equality despite financial means, honesty, morality and integrity? All of it being torn to pieces on the daily. Sorry, I save my moral outrage for those who really deserve it. And it isnt Felicity or Lori.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@Oznell  i do feel strongly about preserving our nation's standards that we all strive to live by.  so i hope i wasn't blithering!  thanks for kind words - especially from a capable wordsmith such as you!

Seriously? I agree with everything you said, but looking to a couple of actresses as the compass for the rule of law, equality despite financial means, honesty, morality and integrity? All of it being torn to pieces on the daily. Sorry, I save my moral outrage for those who really deserve it. And it isnt Felicity or Lori.

@bathina  

i believe one citizen is equal to another and attach no particular exalted status to Hollywood people.  but they do command outsized media attention and people do emulate them. so they can be influencers.  the judge in Massachusetts as much as said so when she was considering how to sentence Huffman..

.to say i expect the law to be applied to Huffman Loughlin does not preclude the same standard for others with more or less serious criminal actions. all of us are subject to the same laws and the consequences that derive from violating them. however,   these 2 happen to be the topic here.

my moral compass is informed by my religious values - not by celebrities.

but glad we agree!

Super Contributor

Re: Huffman sentence

[ Edited ]

just to clarify that that woman's sentence was reduced to 10 days in prision.  no fine.

while I am not agreing with the sentence i do want to clarify that while each school district pays a different amount per student in essence you are "stealing" anywhere from $20,000 and up for every year your student is attending the school for which you aree not districted for.

again just the facts... 

this is a major social justice issue which merit real attention!

Respected Contributor

@ms traditional the problem is we are not all subject to the same laws in the same ways. We have an entire group in society incarcerated at 10x the rate of others for the same crime, as an example. So while it would be nice for the law to wear a blindfold and for rich and poor to be held responsible in the same ways, it's not now, nor ever has been reality.

We have it pushed in our faces daily. 

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

All this angst over a total stranger....

these people have injected fraud and bribery into our society, 

Wordsmith?  Seriously?  

Might be fancy with a word but in terms of content?

Not so much.

All I saw was the phrase ‘these people.’

And ‘these people’ apparently are the first ones to have

‘injected fraud & bribery into our society.’

Ever in the History of Ever. 

Who are ‘these people?’

If you’re referring to rich, entitled people?  

Hate to break it to ‘ya, but people from every socio-economic group

out there have been ‘injecting fraud & bribery into our society.’  

Rich people don’t own that behavior.  And this behavior has been

going on since Time began.

Fraud & bribery will be conducted by people richer than those associated

with this college scandal....and people much poorer than those associated

with this college scandal....and people much more powerful than those

associated with this college scandal...and people living much more mundane lives than those associated with this college scandal. 

The outrage is not about the college scandal.

If it was about the college scandal, Rick Singer would be the 

ultimate punching bag....but those ‘outraged’ barely even know

his name.  And if it was about the clllege scandal, why aren’t people

upset with the COLLEGE of the ‘college scandal’?

Again...barely a peep about that. 

The gossip papers were handed a gift with 2 wealthy women

doing Dirty Deeds. Everyone rubbing their hands together,

giddy with delight they can put another woman in her place. 

Fine. Sentence handed down. Time will be served. Done deal. 

Next!  

On to bigger, more important things to get one’s knickers in a twist. 

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@ms traditional the problem is we are not all subject to the same laws in the same ways. We have an entire group in society incarcerated at 10x the rate of others for the same crime, as an example. So while it would be nice for the law to wear a blindfold and for rich and poor to be held responsible in the same ways, it's not now, nor ever has been reality.

We have it pushed in our faces daily. 

@bathina we agree - we should all be subject to the consequences of the laws on the books - equally.  and we should all demand same from our system. 

Respected Contributor

@tessam wrote:

just to clarify that that woman's sentence was reduced to 10 days in prision.  no fine.

while I am not agreing with the sentence i do want to clarify that while each school district pays a different amount per student in essence you are "stealing" anywhere from $20,000 and up for every year your student is attending the school for which you aree not districted for.

again just the facts... 

this is a major social justiceissue which merit real attention!

This woman's sentence is another example of how harsh the law can be on certain segments of society, how we incarcerate more of one kind of person and less of another, for similar crimes. I dislike her comparison to Huffman who I think is paying dearly.