Honored Contributor

I just got an email that we're supposed to go out at 7 p.m. (when the moon rises in our area) and howl at the Blue Moon in honor of First Responders. Does anyone else here know about this? 

I was talking with a friend this week about how we did so much last spring and we haven't done a lot to honor them since.  

So we will be out. Didn't Wolfman Jack in American Graffiti do this?  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Howling at the Blue Moon

[ Edited ]

I've never heard of it.  I'm in NC.

See the source image

Respected Contributor

Kudos to first responders, but I do not think a busy Halloween night is the best night to honor them by howling outside.

Our door bell is ringing constantly with little trick or treaters here in Philly.  They started at 5:30 PM and will probably keep coming until 8:30, since it is a Saturday.

We have a busy and popular street for Halloween, and many neighbors have gone all out this year with decorations.

I have one of those skeleton wolves that will howl and flash red eyes when you press a button.

I will think of you and your howling and wish you and all first responders the best!

Respected Contributor

I haven't heard of it, but why not.  A howling salute to the first responders sounds fitting.

Plus, a little primal howling exercise might be good for the spirit. Just know that if you've been punked with the e-mail, neighbors may think you're a bit off Woman Wink.  

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch - After reading all of the replies here I'm wondering if you're right! DH told me no way, and DD, who is usually enthusiastic about things like this, just looked at me. I'll go outside to see it, but I won't howl unless I hear a chorus!  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Last Spring there was a lot of howling in our area. Now not so much but lots expected tonight Halloween Blue Moon and all. Starts at moonrise. The first night they did it was funny because all the dogs on the road were out there barking, howling and "singing" along. This is a "Thank You!" to all the health care workers and first responders. It's both eerie and beautiful and will be PERFECT tonight. My pups are in!

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom   From what I understand people across the USA have been howling at a certain time of night, not just at full moons, for first responders.

I guess singing opera is too hard and not everyone speaks Italian.  LOL

I think this blue moon, being so rare for falling on Halloween, is bringing the howling for first responders to the forefront.

And no, I will not go out and howl.   It will set off all the dogs in the neighborhood.  I did, however, get to hug a wolf years ago.  Lovely creatures.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

The moon is rising. It's big and beautiful- and detailed. I didn't hear any howling and there aren't many children out. Maybe later. . .  Smiley Wink

@Cakers3 - What a great opportunity for you! That must have been so special! I don't think I know anyone else who has had this experience!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

The moon is rising. It's big and beautiful- and detailed. I didn't hear any howling and there aren't many children out. Maybe later. . .  Smiley Wink

@Cakers3 - What a great opportunity for you! That must have been so special! I don't think I know anyone else who has had this experience!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom   There were 2; when I sat down to hug one the other came over and sat next to me and snuggled up.  These were rescue wolves; one was actually a hybrid.

I have to admit I am a lover of all things wolf. Spirit guide.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@beach-mom   There were 2; when I sat down to hug one the other came over and sat next to me and snuggled up.  These were rescue wolves; one was actually a hybrid.

I have to admit I am a lover of all things wolf. Spirit guide.

@Cakers3  - Like any animal- I believe- they knew they could trust you! I think Terri Irwin worked with wolves and other wild animals before she married Steve. These animals are magnificent.  Smiley Happy