Trusted Contributor

How would you handle this situation?

I have to admit to you I am scared.  I am a retired social worker/therapist and have dealt with domestic violence in a professional capacity but have never lived next door to it. 

Approx. 1.5 years ago a couple moved in... they are about 60 years old.  Their pattern is that they are alone part of the time and then her children come to visit quite frequently.  When they are alone there is constant fighting.  There is stomping of feet, slamming of doors, loud voices, and she bans him from the house.... locks him out.  We have seen him try to take a walk and she hunts him down. 

How do i know all of these things?  I live in a manufactured home park and the walls are not that thick.... and i talk to the neighbors. 

Yesterday, there were several police cars that showed up and the officers got out of their cars with assault rifles drawn.... the wife ran out of the house and in a short time the EMT's went in and brought the husband out alive on a gurney... and another officer brought a weapon out in a brown bag ( a neighbor saw this because the weapon was larger than the bag).

The neighbor had heard the couple fighting loudly for 2 days/night.... she keeps her window open.... and had heard at least one of them threaten to kill the other.  Many people in this park have heard them arguing/fighting for the last 1.5 years.  This has been reported to the office.  I dont know if the police have ever been called. 

Today the husband is still gone and the wife has family there. 

I have to admit that this is a scary situation for me to live in.  I dont understand senior citizens living like this in their "golden years".  However, if there are weapons involved homes are so close that bullets can go astray. 

Is there anything that I can do? 

Honored Contributor

Re: How would you handle this situation?

Hmm 60 a Senior citizen, i think not I will be 61 in a few months and will not consider my self a Sr Citizen until I am 75

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Not to seem curt, but I don't think there is anything you can do, short of moving.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Hmm 60 a Senior citizen, i think not I will be 61 in a few months and will not consider my self a Sr Citizen until I am 75

Hey!  Wait a minute!  I wouldn't consider myself a senior citizen until I am 85!!

Respected Contributor

Maybe the police taking him away will be a wake up call, Surely the relatives now know they have been fighting. I would ask either the police or your park manager if he will be returning and if he will be given his guns back.

I feel for you, my neighbors used to fight, swear, break windows etc. Thankfully they split and moved.

Respected Contributor

You are afraid.  Call the police!!!

Super Contributor

Sure sounds like abuse. Drugs, alcohol.

Many years ago older neighbors lived across the street. The man of the house was a control freak.

One day I saw the police come to the house. They stayed for 8 hours. The coronor was the last to come.

The old man shot himself in the head.

WHAT the old man had NOT planned was his DAUGHTER finding him. He had done this as a "gotcha" to his wife.

His daughter has to live with the scene of his blood guts all over the walls and floors.

You never know what goes on behind close doors.

So many seniors are on so many legal drugs and alcoholic.

The details of this story were told to me by his wife.

She trusted me, I understood.

Watch the news on TV.......its all over the place :-(

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am so sorry you are going through this.  It's not fair to not be able to feel safe and enjoy your own home.  

Short of moving which I don't think you should jump to just yet, how about you and the neighbors you talk to all get together and make some noise to management or the police and let that family know that their behavior will not be tolerated?  All of you will have 911 on speed dial anytime anyone so much as hears a peep from their home or sees anything you don't like.  That may get them to move if one of them isn't already on their way to jail and all of you will be able to reclaim your peace and quiet again.  I feel for you.  Heart 

Honored Contributor

Ok then I am with you 

@fortune wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Hey!  Wait a minute!  I wouldn't consider myself a senior citizen until I am 85!!

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Get thee gone.  Start looking now.  Good luck OP.  You don't need this in your retirement years.  LM