Esteemed Contributor

Re: How would you dress this up ?

@ECBG  I like that wine idea!  @Kachina624  His benches are made to rot where they sit. Back to nature kinda vibe. That's why he doesn't charge for them. He came over for a barbecue and said you need one of my benches  there. He said place it and forget it. He is the one who said wreath in center for the different seasons. The ones in his yard are stunning. Vines and leaves grow all over. Birds shelter on one. It's just amazing how they become one with nature. 

I agree with all who said no string light. Thanks to all for the wonderful responses. 

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG  We are going to put bricks under the legs. Flush with the ground. My husband is going to secure it so it don't blow over. We get some killer wind here. 

Respected Contributor

I like it tucked in the woods look setting. Some potted plants tucked in around  for color and a lantern or something like that.  A table or coffee type table.  Fun to play around with.  

Trusted Contributor

If it's not for sitting, I'd suggest you don't put any cushions or pillows on it. That would only invite folks to treat it like a bench to sit down and relax.

Why put anything on it or around it? 

I'm sure it takes real talent to create that bench. To me, it looks weathered and dilapidated and has no real purpose. But gifts like this are often sentimental things just for the joy of being connected to our friends and don't have to perform any function. My opinion is how it strikes me as a thing you seem to want to decorate or enhance. If it's that lovely as a handmade creation or project, I'd leave it just as it is. It should be admired for itself, not as something that needs to be "styled".

Ask the craftsman how to protect it in winter or how to best preserve it year round.  

Honored Contributor

Be sure and termite-proof any outdoor wooden decorations

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I don't see why I can't sit there.

PsBattle: Cross-armed Squirrel: photoshopbattles

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

I agree with the outdoor pillows

Regular Contributor

I'd decorate with silk flowers..but not a lot of them..maybe in an upper corner.. As one poster here said. Decorate according to the season.

Fall- sunflowers.

Winter-poinsettia /holly

Spring-tulips/daffodils 

Summer-hydrangeas 

Actually it would be cute for Fall to place a sitting light weight scarecrow on the bench, with a few pumpkins on the ground.

Honored Contributor

@godi    Is that where the chair will be in the backyard?  If so, you might consider painting it a different color like white and then get fabric that is waterproof for seat cushion in a nice green.   Do you have a front porch outside?  If so, either leave natural or paint it white and have a cushion that would compliment your house color.

kindness is strength