Honored Contributor

How will your Social Security COLA change in 2024?

For updated information about projections for COLA in 2024, see this article in USA Today. The article is highly informative and goes beyond just discussing the COLA for SS.
I'm posting because there's another thread that contains conflated information about 2023 and 2024 and I think some might want updated information. 

Put this title into your google search 

How will your Social Security COLA change in 2024? Think smaller.

The article is in

USA TODAY  and is by Medora Lee

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How will your Social Security COLA change in 2024?

If we hit the debt ceiling, and appears we are on track for June 1 you'll have much bigger concerns than a few more $ in 2024.

Honored Contributor

The 2023 amount was the largest I believe in 40 yrs.  Everyone should know it's downhill from 2024 & beyond. 

Anything is better than nothing!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

For updated information about projections for COLA in 2024, see this article in USA Today. The article is highly informative and goes beyond just discussing the COLA for SS.
I'm posting because there's another thread that contains conflated information about 2023 and 2024 and I think some might want updated information. 

Put this title into your google search 

How will your Social Security COLA change in 2024? Think smaller.

The article is in

USA TODAY  and is by Medora Lee

@Mindy D 

Thanks for starting a new thread.  I thought about it earlier, but was running out the door and didn't have the time.  

Honored Contributor

It's likely there won't be a 2024 COLA.  If there is, it will be miniscule.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy ITA.  Nothing will be lost, but recipients of social security and other payments could be in for a rough ride.

Esteemed Contributor

(thread title)

I can speculate and guess with the best. How will my SS COLA change me/my family and how we live? ZERO! 

More important things in my life than what some so-called, non-middle class economists, figure my COL actually is.

@Mindy D 

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Hi@Mindy D 

Thank you so much for this Info & Article Title.

Great info!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

The 2023 amount was the largest I believe in 40 yrs.  Everyone should know it's downhill from 2024 & beyond. 

Anything is better than nothing!

@Mz iMac Yes, but you get to add the new percentage to the amount you received in 2023 which, if the new COLA is about about 3.1%-4% (just a guess for a hypothetical here) means that over the past two year. If there's a 4%, your benefit over two years would  increase around 12%. That's no slim pickins.

Wish it would keep up with the price of groceries and food from all sources. When you add foods costs to shrinkflation, consumers are paying so much more for meals than five years ago. 

Honored Contributor

Of course the increase will be smaller than this year's 8.7%, which was the highest since 1981.

This also applies to SSDI (Social Security Disability) and SSI (Supplemental Security Income), which people often forget.