Esteemed Contributor

Re: How were you treated the first time you became a grandparent?

One side being shut out isn't what would be bothering me. This is what would be bothering me........

"I feel for my sister. Yesterday her only daughter had her first baby.  She is married to a controlling man.

He did set up a group text and that is how she knew they were having the baby. After the baby was born the only thing she heard was the weight and he sent a photo--of the new mom feeding the baby, not a good view of the baby but of the body part that he was feeding on. That was it, no phone call, no more info, just a questionable photo."

He sounds disturbed.

Honored Contributor

Petepetey, what is your sense of the mother daughter relationship?   

You didn't say, but my guess is that they aren't very close .... or your sister is highly critical of her daughter.

While it's hard to really get to the heart of this with so little information,  I'm guessing that the MIL is much less critical of her daughter in law than her mother is!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittywhipped wrote:

I think it's really cruel to freeze out one side of the family.  Don't have kids or grands but know what it feels like as we were told that a wedding had cost overruns and so our side of the family was uninvited though we were all very close and thought we were considered family all of our lives. That one decision on their part changed everything, I can only imagine what it's like regarding a new baby....which brings up another interesting point....those of you that were frozen out, were you invited to the wedding and purchased the new couple a generous gift?  If so, major slap in the face.  

My sister-in-law loved having my mother go to her house to do the cooking and cleaning and laundry and ironing etc ..... but only her side of the family had the privileges with the kids.  One time she left my niece,  who was crawling at the time, alone with her grandmother (my sister-in-law's grandmother).  She was a wonderful woman but she was in her 80's at the time and  could barely get up from a chair by herself much less take care of a baby.  But that was okay because the grandmother was on HER side of the family.

Respected Contributor

No "family issues" whatsoever. The wild thing was when our first granddaughter was born we drove down to Charlotte NC from CNY that night. Arrived at the hospital early in the morning and the neonatal nurse handed us the baby. We were still in the clothes we wore driving all night. A scenario far from when our oldest children were born and DH only saw them in a nursery through a window. 

Esteemed Contributor

I find that sad OP. I became a grandmother for the first time young (at age 41). I was and am always treated well as a grandmother. I have 2 children, (a son and a daughter), but all 3 of my granddaughters are from my daughter. We are all (my kids, son in law, and grand kids) very close and that is how it should be.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles