Trusted Contributor

Re: How warm does your house get in hot weather?

I live in Texas. Central A/C. One story house built in the 70s. We installed new windows last year, have a 5 year old A/C unit and new evaporator coil, added insulation in the attic. Wide roof overhang keeps the sun from shining directly into the windows. House faces northeast. A/C thermostat is set at 74 and all ceiling fans are running. I have a little mini-tabletop fan I keep on a bedside table to aim at the bed during summer nights -- I like cool air blowing on me. Plantation shutters are only partially open during the hot summer months. Never a time to open windows in the summer as it doesn't cool off that much at night, and here in DFW we have air pollution and allergens. Plus, crime - not good to have windows open at night even if possible. During the glorious but short-lived spring and fall I will open windows during the day and just take my allergy meds. The air pollution isn't as bad during those times.

Previous house here had thermostat set at 78 with all ceiling fans running. That was a two-stage A/C system with newer construction.

Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

I live in an apartment. In Florida.  No A/C. I know it gets up to 88 degrees sometimes, can't recall if I have seen it hotter. 

Thank goodness for for long work hours in air conditioned buildings! 

OMG, willdob, you live in Florida without AC??  I didn't know there were apartments with no AC there.  Having lived in Florida, I cannot imagine.  The humidity would be awful!

Honored Contributor

@KateinOK wrote:
@DiAnne, you live in my dream climate. OK is hot and dry. The "real feel" temp today is supposed to top out at 110. I am a heat wimp and keep the thermostat at 73, turning it down to 71 to sleep.....WITH THE FAN BLOWING DIRECTLY DOWN ON BED. My husband likes the heat and I prefer the cold. In my future house I will definitely make sure the master bedroom is on the east side of the home!

@KateinOK

It is my dream climate also!  I was born and grew up in Southern California and that got too hot and brown for me.  I love the rain (which is a good thing living here), in fact it just started to rain.    

Honored Contributor

We keep the top floor heat pump on 76-78 degrees during the summer and in the 60's during the winter..

The main AC unit in the summer/spring is on 71 during the day and 72 at night... in the winter the heat is on 71/72..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Contributor

We keep our home at 68 degrees January through December.  We will put the heat up to 70 if it's really cold out - say in the teens or below.  It's cool, comfortable, and we sleep really well! 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I'm not sure how warm this house gets.  When we transition to summer, I set the a/c at 71 and leave it there until fall.  I did it to keep the cats comfortable. Both have now passed, but I don't plan on changing anything.

@GCR18 - same here.  We keep it at 71 (75 during the day when we're out).  Our pup doesn't do well in the extreme heat (and IMO anything 90 or above is extreme).

Honored Contributor

Our AC is generally set at 72, sometimes 74 if we are just sitting around doing nothing.

Our family room, where we spend most of our time, is in the back of our house and that is where we get the hot, afternoon sun.  We have absolutely no trees back there anymore so there is nothing to block that beating sun and if we have the ac any higher than 74, that room gets way too hot and it's uncomfortable to sit in.