Respected Contributor

Re: How warm does your house get in hot weather?

@croemer wrote:

Well one night our air was on the fritz and it got to 101 inside at 10 pm.Smiley Frustrated

@croemer - I hear ya!  If I don't have windows covered and fans running - it will get close to 90 in here.  I think I'm doing good keeping it at 75 according to everyone elses' posts!

Respected Contributor

@Winifred - Oh the gophers have TAKEN OVER my lawns - they look horrible - I've tried chewing gum, the worms they market, nothing works - luckily we don't have tumbleweeds in Indiana!

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I am a "greenie"........ya know.......an old hippie tree hugger.    I don't turn the a/c on until it's 105° outside.    

@Desertdi - I'm an old hippie tree hugger too - I am trying so hard not to turn the AC on - but I have to take care of my doggies.  It will be over 100 heat index here in Indiana today!  it really has helped covering my windows with blankets.  It's really dark in here though - but cooler. 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We  have a stucco house in south Florida built 6 years ago. We honestly do not notice that it gets particularly hot or cold inside. It is so well sealed up and insulated that we don't even know when it is raining. When they built this house they put several trees around the house which are growing fast and are already starting to provide some shade. In future when they mature we will get great shade and heat relief from them, esp. on our back lanai which has a tree on all 3 sides. My DH has trimmed them so we can walk around under them without getting hit by a branch and the tops are thick and full. He feeds them with plant food spikes. Several of our neighbors don't understand why our trees are so much nicer than their's and when DH says you have to feed them and appropriately trim them they say things like "Oh I'm not doing that, or why would you do that etc, "  Well, that IS how you get nice shade trees.

@151949- my backyard and front yard are in the shade - that's why I can't understand why this house gets so darn hot - but compared to everyone else's posts, I think I'm doing good keeping it at 74!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I live in Northern Wisconsin, so we don't even have air conditioning! When my father built this house, he really insulted it extremely well so that it would stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

We do have one window air conditioner, but never use it. My mother is 91 and always cold. It gets up to 78 degrees in the house when it approaches 90 outside (rare, for us). I am a naturally hot person, so I walk around in shorts inside in the summer. Last night it was about 55 degrees. DH and I slept with the bedroom window open. It was wonderful! The night before last, we had frost...you just never know up here!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

We have had new windows installed and extra insulation added in the attic. It was 86º yesterday, and DH and I worked in the yard. Every window of the house was closed, and the A.C. had not been turned on.  When we came back inside, DH announced, "Wow, it feels good in here!"  We slept comfortably with just the windows open.

At 9:00 this morning it was already 80º outside, with 90º predicted for the afternoon, so we did turn on the A.C. 

One tip I can offer to keep air moving in your house is to switch your furnace fan from 'auto' to 'on'.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

How hot does it get inside?

Well, last summer I went away for 10 days & when I returned, my candles had bent completely in half - the wick end was literally lying on the coffee table.

LOL!

I skimp on a lot of things & save $$ where I can, but not w/ A/C! I like it to be like a meat locker in here, & turn it down even lower at night.

Thank God for central air. Heart

Hi @sabatini   GMTA!!   My friends call my house the meat locker. LOL   When I entertain, everyone knows to bring a sweater/hoodie/blanket. lol  

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@151949 wrote:

We  have a stucco house in south Florida built 6 years ago. We honestly do not notice that it gets particularly hot or cold inside. It is so well sealed up and insulated that we don't even know when it is raining. When they built this house they put several trees around the house which are growing fast and are already starting to provide some shade. In future when they mature we will get great shade and heat relief from them, esp. on our back lanai which has a tree on all 3 sides. My DH has trimmed them so we can walk around under them without getting hit by a branch and the tops are thick and full. He feeds them with plant food spikes. Several of our neighbors don't understand why our trees are so much nicer than their's and when DH says you have to feed them and appropriately trim them they say things like "Oh I'm not doing that, or why would you do that etc, "  Well, that IS how you get nice shade trees.

@151949- my backyard and front yard are in the shade - that's why I can't understand why this house gets so darn hot - but compared to everyone else's posts, I think I'm doing good keeping it at 74!!!!!

If the yards are shaded, that's one thing, but the roof itself has to be shaded for it to make a difference. 

So you'll get cooler air in your windows, but it probably won't be enough to override the heat on the roof.

Keeping the blinds/drapes closed on sides of the house that the sun is hitting helps, too.

I don't get it when I see people with their windows wide open and the sun just beating in.  Must be sweltering in there!

Respected Contributor

We have a two story home and it does get hot especially upstairs in the bedrooms. I can tolerate that, but when it become humid, I turn on the a/c. My husband would have it running 24/7 if he had it his way.

Honored Contributor

When we get several hot 90 degree days here my house will get up to about 88 degrees upstairs. It is miserable. I have about 7 fans going at one time for every room I am spending time in so the air is blowing on me full force. Otherwise I would pass away!

In the bedroom we have four fans that blow on the bed on high just to make it bareable to sleep. Still sweat....  It  is awful.

Thankfully our hot hot weather is only about 10 days  a year and we get dramatic  cool downs inbetween the hot days in the 60's.

My next house will have air conditioning.  I pay off this one in two years... then we will move into out retirement ranch style home.( that is my dream!)