Honored Contributor

Re: How warm does your house get in hot weather?

When we had regular A/C we had areas that remained warm and areas that were cold. When we switched to Central A/C, the rooms all became evenly cooled. The thermostat is set at 72 for the A/C and 70 for the heat.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

One of my friends, years ago, had a 2-story house that was situated facing a certain direction; It was always cold, even on the hottest days.  No A/C. No trees.  I would always bring a sweater when visiting her.  (I'm only guessing that the top floor was warm, though.)  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I have a few standing and table fans here and there, no A/C.  So, I'd say that 80* is the highest indoor temp. on very hot days.   (I don't see a 'degree' sign on my keyboard.  I'll have to look closer later on, using my reading glasses.)  BTW, I also have a few of those those very small-ish table fans; they are so handy. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

We have a ranch. The morning sun hits the front so that part our house heats up first. It can get so hot that the front door handle can burn you. As the day passes the back of the house heats up a lot. Our sunroom is in the back of the house, and even with a ceiling fan it can get miserable in there on a hot summer day. We also lost our backyard shade tree in a storm a few years ago which just makes it worse. Our basement is a cool retreat on a hot day. We installed more insulation and attic fans a few years ago and that helps some. 

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

I really only run my central air when the humidity is up (like today). My house is surrounded by trees and was built in 1970, so windows are small and the house appears to be well insulated and the A/C is a newer, very efficient unit. Most of my friends and neighbors never open their windows. Keep the air on May-October. I prefer the fresh air and a lower monthly electric bill.

Respected Contributor

Summer temps here are usually from the mid-90s to 105+. Our home is new'ish and remains tolerable until late afternoon most days. We don't run our AC until it gets to 82+ in the house. It usually cools down in the later evenings (except during extremely hot spells), and when it does, we turn on our whole house fan and open the windows until morning to pull in the cool air.  Then we close everything up and start the cycle again!

Esteemed Contributor

Wanted to add that my house is a split level with the AC unit in the crawl space above the first floor, so it's pretty centrally located. Kitchen is just below the unit, so that's the coldest room in the house. Keep the thermostat at 76 or 77 degrees. and run fans in the small  family room as well as the bedrooms. The air usually shuts off after about 10 PM.

Frequent Contributor

@DiAnne, you live in my dream climate. OK is hot and dry. The "real feel" temp today is supposed to top out at 110. I am a heat wimp and keep the thermostat at 73, turning it down to 71 to sleep.....WITH THE FAN BLOWING DIRECTLY DOWN ON BED. My husband likes the heat and I prefer the cold. In my future house I will definitely make sure the master bedroom is on the east side of the home!
Trusted Contributor

It's over 100 degrees where I am for about 4 straight months.   I set my A/C at 79 and leave it alone.   

I was told if you raise your thermostat, it takes so much more energy to try and cool it later.  It's better to keep it at a steady temp.

I have sun screens on all my windows facing West/East & South.  That helps reduce heat and direct sunlight.   I also have fans in every room.

I rent and the A/C is about 20 years old.  The owner won't replace to make it more efficient.   HE doesn't have to pay the bills.  So many landlords are cheap.   

I have no other option but to run the A/C.  If not, I'd be dead in short order.