Esteemed Contributor

Re: How warm / cold do you keep your house?

We pretty much keep the thermostat on 68 most of the time.  It's generally comfortable but on a very cold day we will have the gas fireplace roaring.  Ours has one of those fans to blow the heat out into the room.  I'm still in the phase of insane temperture fluctuations, so I also sleep under my comforter with the ceiling fan going all winter, drives my hubby nuts!! LOL

Honored Contributor

In the winter, 73 downstairs during the day and 74 if it is really cold out.  Our great room is 2 stories and the heat rises, so it's harder to keep it warm enough for me.

The upstairs thermostat is on 72.

At night, they both are on 70.

In the summer both are set on 75.  That might seem high, but our house does a great job of staying cool in the summer.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

72 year round

Same here.  72 degrees 24/7.

Man plans. God laughs.
Valued Contributor

We have zonal heating.  Basement and first floor are 68.  Bedrooms are set between 64 and 68.  Depends on how cold it is.  We are more comfortable sleeping with it cooler.  

Honored Contributor

I rarely run my heat since I prefer cold when I can get it.  Got home from work yesterday and the thermostat said 65º so I turned it on to 67º then shut it back off.  Slept with the heat off all night and it read 68º when I woke up.  I ran heat while I got ready for my day and turned it off before I left for work.  I cracked one window open and it is 37º with a high of 47º.  I do enjoy the few days of no Texas Heat.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

After a hot summer in Texas I can't wait to get into sweats so house is about 67 during the day and 62 at night. Nothing better than getting into bed with my down comforter. 

Respected Contributor

I keep our house at 68 degrees during the day and 64 degrees at night.   We live in the Midwest and it was 26 degrees this morning and maybe a high of 31 degrees outside.  I wear a sweater during the day and I love sleeping under lots of blankets at night.  I think I sleep better in the winter than the summer.  Sometimes I put a throw over my legs if I’m sitting and watching TV at night in the living room. 

Respected Contributor

My heat is on 60 to 62 unless the temperature drops real low I'll turn it up to keep pipes from freezing. I'm not comfortable if it's to warm.

Honored Contributor

In winter, I set the thermostat at 50, so it rarely comes on.  If it's too cold in the morning, I'll set it up to 57 or 58, and then back to 50 for the rest of the day.  Yes, it's cold but I dress warmly.  It's easier to tolerate on a sunny day.

In summer, the only time I use central air is when it's very humid - usually 5 - 10 days per year.  The indoor temperature can get up to 80.  

Trusted Contributor

In the winter the thermostat is set at 62* at night and 65* during the day -- even when it gets below 0 out. During the summer we run the window ac at 67* -- it cools down most of the house to a comfortable temp. We run fans at night to keep it cool enough to sleep.