Frequent Contributor

How warm / cold do you keep your house?

I'm watching Lea talk about a "big storm" coming tonight, and how she will be wrapping up in blankets and such. She's selling blankets right now.

Do you all keep your homes a certain temp, regardless of the temp outside?

My house is pretty much 78, no matter what it is outside. I never wear a robe, sweater, jacket, or anything for extra warmth. I don't have a blanket on my bed. It's going to be 31 tonight in NV. I usually have a fan blowing on me every night.

Honored Contributor

Re: How warm / cold do you keep your house?

As warm as I need it to be so that I'm comfortable.  It really depends on the weather.  

Respected Contributor

In the winter months I have the thermostat around 70 during the day.  I turn it down to 62 when I go to bed....Sleep in fleece pj's with fleece sheets, two blankets, and a quilt.  

On really frigid nights I might put my thick fur Basso throw over the top of the quilt, too!  Stay nice and cozy, and the apartment warms up quickly  when I get up in the am and kick up the thermostat.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The temperature seems to be 69-71 year round in my house..

I sleep under the same amounts of linens year round also..cotton sheets with a cotton quilt, and a down throw or a light weight down blanket over that.

I do prefer cool nights and my bedroom is the coolest room in my home.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Respected Contributor

In the winter, I keep it at 70, but turn the heat off at night, and sometimes it gets to 64 in the house overnight.  It should get down to the 20's outside tonight, but the house is well insulated so it stays warm, even with the doggie door.  In the summer, it's about 74 with the evaporative cooler.

My ex used to keep it around 78 at night....I would wake up with headaches because it was so hot in this house! 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

heat is on 68 during the day and i drop it to 64 at night this time of the year.

a number of rooms have duraflame heaters AND a fireplace is in the family room.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

At 78 room temp, I'd have a fan on me, too.

I keep the temp at 68 in the winter.  

The temperature where she is will be around 30-32, not below zero.  If a house isn't insulated well and there are high winds, furnaces might not be capable of heating the house evenly.  Often older houses have this problem.  

But, generally don't understand the need for so many blankets and throws when I assume most everyone has a furnace.

The cost of all the blankets, throws, ultra warm PJ's, sweaters, and thick slippers and socks, may cost more than turning the temperature up a few degrees or using a space heater.  

Esteemed Contributor

Right now it’s set at 71 degrees & I am comfortable with that .... I am always cold & tonight it’s going down to the 30’s outside so I might raise the temperature to 72 or 74 ☃️☃️

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

At 78 room temp, I'd have a fan on me, too.

I keep the temp at 68 in the winter.  

The temperature where she is will be around 30-32, not below zero.  If a house isn't insulated well and there are high winds, furnaces might not be capable of heating the house evenly.  Often older houses have this problem.  

But, generally don't understand the need for so many blankets and throws when I assume most everyone has a furnace.

The cost of all the blankets, throws, ultra warm PJ's, sweaters, and thick slippers and socks, may cost more than turning the temperature up a few degrees or using a space heater.  

Power outages.

Valued Contributor

Here in southeast Florida, I run my A/C year round with the thermostat at 75 degrees. There are a few days when it is cool enough outside to keep the windows/balcony doors open without the A/C. Gotta keep a close eye on the cat though!