Contributor

How to transfer EIP stimulus debit card to bank account

1...activate the card having a 4 digit pin in mind.calls 800-phone number

2...go to EIPcard.c** and Register. You will need to set up user name & password.

3...look for Transfers in Menu. You will need to provide a cell phone for text message to receive a one-time passcode..or code can also be sent to email

4...add banking info...router # and account..

5...submit ..confirmation appears...done..EZ

There was no indication that one could take the debit card to your bank and have it deposited.

Trusted Contributor

Re: How to transfer EIP stimulus debit card to bank account

I had heard they were going to start sending out stimulus debit cards but I have not read anywhere as to why the debit card instead of just sending out a check. I would think they would have to pay the bank for handling the card. Does anyone know why the Treasury Department went with the debit card.

Trusted Contributor

I activated our stimulus debit card over the phone and then took it to the drive up window at my bank.  They transferred it immediately to our checking account with no problem.  I was skeptical about it working that easily, but was pleasantly surprised.  

Remember to keep the card even if you have no money left on it.  If we get another stimulus payment it will loaded on to that same card electronically.  At least that is my understanding.  

Contributor

Ok thanks. I transferred the whole amount this morning, but will keep the card just in case. It did seem like a lot of work to do one transaction. 

Respected Contributor

@SugarGlider wrote:

1...activate the card having a 4 digit pin in mind.calls 800-phone number

2...go to EIPcard.c** and Register. You will need to set up user name & password.

3...look for Transfers in Menu. You will need to provide a cell phone for text message to receive a one-time passcode..or code can also be sent to email

4...add banking info...router # and account..

5...submit ..confirmation appears...done..EZ

There was no indication that one could take the debit card to your bank and have it deposited.

So this way you provide MetaBank and Fiserv your identity, your cell phone or email, and your bank account details. 

If I got one of these cards, I would opt to initialize the card but pay the $2 transaction fee (probably x3 because of limits on withdrawals) to pull out the cash so they don't have that data. None of us chose to do business with MetaBank or Fiserv, so why should they have our info?

I got a direct deposit, so I'm not affected, but that's what I'd do with that card.

Just keepin' it paranoid. Robot wink

Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

I had heard they were going to start sending out stimulus debit cards but I have not read anywhere as to why the debit card instead of just sending out a check. I would think they would have to pay the bank for handling the card. Does anyone know why the Treasury Department went with the debit card.

@Sheila P-Burg I read it was to get the payments out faster.  Evidently, the treasury department can only print a certain # of checks per week.

Respected Contributor

Can't we just take it to our bank?  They must be able to process cards.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee  You can take it to the bank and they will process the transfer for you.

Trusted Contributor

@Linmo  ...... Thank you for answering.

Respected Contributor

If choosing to transfer funds, I would still do a small amount first to make sure you entered all the information correctly.