Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to tactfully ask the mailman to not ring bell (reasons..rop..ty..)

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

If asking him not to ring the bell doesn't work, I'd disconnect the doorbell or flip the circuit breaker.

She doesn't want to solve HER problem, she wants to pass it off to the mailman.  It seems like she thinks he only delivers mail to 10 houses so he can remember her special request.

@chrystaltree   I agree. Dogs that go crazy at the drop of a pin outside the front door are a pet peeve.  She needs to deal with that, which might also help the mother. 

I re-read the first post several times, just to make sure that I didn't miss something, but the o/p never mentions her mother. She only talks about her dad.

I think you're right.  I hadn't heard about mother either until @chrystaltree  mentioned it, so I just went with the flow.  Shame on me - should have done some fact-checking.

All's good!Woman Very Happy

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@msh8970 

I disconnected my doorbell for the same reasons you stated.  Those who know my situation simply knock (or call first).

Respected Contributor

@msh8970 

Just disconnect/deactivate your present doorbell for a while and see if that works.  Don't tell the mailman you disconnected it.  If he knows he may knock.  If an item requires signature, and no one answers the door, USPS leaves a notice.  You didn't mention any issues with other delivery services, but I assume if they see the doorbell they will ring rather then knock.

If your mailman somehow figures out the doorbell was disconnected and starts to knock, then speak with him.

Pets have keen hearing and can hear noises outside our homes before we do.  Some run off to hide; dogs may start barking.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I have a doorbell but mine knocks on the door when he puts a package down.  That is what they are supposed to do.

I want my dog to bark when someone rings the bell or knocks on the door.  

But in your case, I'd disable the doorbell or put a sign up.

@Lipstickdiva   Yes a properly trained dog will bark at the sound of a doorbell or a knock on the door.  That's what dogs do-protect territory.

But the OP indicates that her dog goes "crazy" and out of control.  BIg difference.

Plus the dog being over reactive is probably contributing to her dad's distress, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't assume the mailman to remember my needs when he goes along his route. Unless there is a more personal relationship - he may try to remember but no one can remember everyone's needs. Could you even imagine?

1 - light taps only (no heavy knocking)

2 - heavy knocking only as my doorbell doesn't work and I'm hard of hearing

3 - baby sleeps between 1-4 so no ringing or knocking during those times

it is not his respnsibility to know your needs. You can try to tell him and perhaps he will remember which would be great. Like other suggests - disconnect bell or get a PO Box. Leave a sign out

I'm forever leaving signs out if I'm expecting a service person or package. I hate it when they don't ring the bell and get the dreaded note - sorry we missed you...

Respected Contributor

@msh8970 

When my husband was still working (and I still watched and ordered a lot from QVC) he slept during the day. 

I simply taped a note above our doorbell that read "Please do not ring doorbell during the day - Day Sleeper at home."

Worked like a charm, so I just left it up after we got our dog, who also barked at the doorbell.  

Super Contributor

I agree with a previous poster that this is a family problem.  We do what we can on our end to make things better, but you cannot blame the mail carrier.  He is not the only person that will ever come to your door.  Your main problem is the doorbell.  Why on earth is it still there?  You have two very good reasons to disconnect it.  Let's say you are able to train your mail carrier to stop ringing your bell.  What will you do when other parties ring the bell (that you still have hooked up)?  That doorbell needs to go!  Your mail carrier never has to be told.

As for having a sign out asking visitors not to ring or knock, tell your father it is because of the dog.  Tell him that you can't deal with the dog's behavior now, so you are trying to stop the reason he goes crazy.  This takes the reason for the sign off of your father. 

You mention both PTSD and OCD.  I don't know if he has been diagnosed with OCD or if you were using OCD as a figure of speech, but not wanting the sign there is not an OCD thing.  That sounds like he is a man of pride.  The next time he visits the doctor, make sure his meds are at the correct levels.  You are the historian for your father.  I understand how difficult it is to be a caregiver for an elderly person, especially when there is dementia and personality changes.  Does your father have any special music he likes?  Maybe old television shows he could watch?  White noise machine?  Is there anything that could help mask the noises that may set him off?  Just a thought...Best of luck to you, and please find time to take care of yourself a little.  You are doing a great thing for your dad.   

Frequent Contributor

Just post a note over the doorbell.  My Mom used to get UPS packages all the time when my Dad was home.  He would always fall asleep for a nap.  The minute he was asleep the door bell would ring and the dog would wake him up. She said that was a life saver....

Honored Contributor

Leave your carrier a note with your instructions

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 wrote:

I would disconnect the doorbel and put a sign on the door not to knock.  

The OP mentioned that she had a sign up that told the mailman not to ring the doorbell. Which he read and complied with but her father did not like the sign.