Honored Contributor

Re: How to tactfully ask the mailman to not ring bell (reasons..rop..ty..)

@msh8970 

Tactfully, really? Just as any other conversation  "tell him" it is not necessary for him to ring the door bell with package deliveries. No explanation is necessary. Most "regular" delivery persons are happy when their customers are happy.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Many good solutions here.

If I may "chime" in, these people have many deliveries and many deadlines.  Under the best of circumstances, there will probably still be imperfect moments.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Oh, for heaven's sake!  He isn't "your" mailman.  Yours isn't the only house he delivers mail too.  Why would you expect him to remember something as avoidable as this?  You had the perfect solution.  Leave a note on your door and keep it there!  If your OCD father can't handle a note, you have to decide what his more important.  Dad's issues or your mother's issues or your dog's issue.  Personally, I would put the note on the door so the dog wouldn't go crazy which I assume is what upsets your mother.  This isn't a mailman problem by stretch of the imagination, this is your family problem.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

If asking him not to ring the bell doesn't work, I'd disconnect the doorbell or flip the circuit breaker.

She doesn't want to solve HER problem, she wants to pass it off to the mailman.  It seems like she thinks he only delivers mail to 10 houses so he can remember her special request.

Honored Contributor

My UPS/FedEx people never ring the door bell UNLESS it is late at night, like it can be during the Christmas holiday. Some of the UPS guys haven't gotten to me until around 9pm, but they always deliver! ha!

I have a sign indicating no solicitation, so that's never a problem. Pretty peaceful neighborhood, for which I am grateful. Heart

But I believe there are a whole lot of us who track our packages and know which day things are going to arrive. And with UPS, you can have the ability to "see" where the driver is on their route. I have seen the driver be within two blocks of my place and then go clear across town. Go figure! ha!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

If asking him not to ring the bell doesn't work, I'd disconnect the doorbell or flip the circuit breaker.

She doesn't want to solve HER problem, she wants to pass it off to the mailman.  It seems like she thinks he only delivers mail to 10 houses so he can remember her special request.

@chrystaltree   I agree. Dogs that go crazy at the drop of a pin outside the front door are a pet peeve.  She needs to deal with that, which might also help the mother. 

Honored Contributor

Why have a doorbell at all if it disturbs Dad and the dog   

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Oh, for heaven's sake!  He isn't "your" mailman.  Yours isn't the only house he delivers mail too.  Why would you expect him to remember something as avoidable as this?  You had the perfect solution.  Leave a note on your door and keep it there!  If your OCD father can't handle a note, you have to decide what his more important.  Dad's issues or your mother's issues or your dog's issue.  Personally, I would put the note on the door so the dog wouldn't go crazy which I assume is what upsets your mother.  This isn't a mailman problem by stretch of the imagination, this is your family problem.

I re-read the opening post 3x, just to make sure that I didn't miss something, but the origional poster never mentions her mother,just her father.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@chrystaltree   I agree. Dogs that go crazy at the drop of a pin outside the front door are a pet peeve.  She needs to deal with that, which might also help the mother. 

I re-read the first post several times, just to make sure that I didn't miss something, but the o/p never mentions her mother. She only talks about her dad.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I re-read the first post several times, just to make sure that I didn't miss something, but the o/p never mentions her mother. She only talks about her dad.

I think you're right.  I hadn't heard about mother either until @chrystaltree  mentioned it, so I just went with the flow.  Shame on me - should have done some fact-checking.