Honored Contributor

Re: How to stop the calls about the back or knee brace paid for by Medicare.

I have read, and been told, that if you respond AT ALL, AND IN ANY WAY, the “caller”, robot or otherwise, records that you are A LIVE ONE, so I NEVER DO. 

I also believe that if a recorded message is left, this also indicates a “live one” and thereby perpetuates the torment.

Unfortunately my husband has an innocently higher impression of human nature than I, and attempts to hear messages before disconnecting the line. 

I also do put the phone under the couch cushion if I have a sleeping baby in the house.

Still rankles me though, that the landline has effectively been emasculated by modern technology. I don’t miss it QUITE as much as my buggywhip, but close.

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

I have read, and been told, that if you respond AT ALL, AND IN ANY WAY, the “caller”, robot or otherwise, records that you are A LIVE ONE, so I NEVER DO. 

I also believe that if a recorded message is left, this also indicates a “live one” and thereby perpetuates the torment.

Unfortunately my husband has an innocently higher impression of human nature than I, and attempts to hear messages before disconnecting the line. 

I also do put the phone under the couch cushion if I have a sleeping baby in the house.

Still rankles me though, that the landline has effectively been emasculated by modern technology. I don’t miss it QUITE as much as my buggywhip, but close.

My hubby was the same way....Didn't believe me....He thought if he told the people he wasn't interested.....screamed four letter words and told them to put him on the useless "do not call list" that they would stop...HA

They doubled and tripled....he finally realized that like you said..."They know they have a number where someone will answer" and stopped answering....

Now a year later they have dwindled down to only a few a week....

Honored Contributor

Can you block the number? It sure is annoying to get calls that you dont want!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

The only way I found to put a stop to them was to answer.  I made up a business name and answer with "Good morning or afternoon this is (name of made up business), how may I direct your call?"  They hang up and if I get a second call from the same number the second time I answer as that business they don't call back again!!   Another way is I ask specifically who they are calling and often they say either me or my SO. If it's my SO, I say there is no one by that name here you must have a wrong number.  If it is me they are calling for I say the name is right but I am only 30, in good health and no issues whatsoever.  That works especially well for the medicare medical insurance calls and is the only thing that stopped them!!

Esteemed Contributor

I hate robo calls, especially the ghost calls (of which I get many!!!) where they clone your area code and prefix so it appears to come from your local area (I have an out of state cell phone so these are easy to spot).  I use a call blocker but there needs to be national legislation to stop these!

Respected Contributor

i do not answer any unfamiliar number, ever.  And they seem to be fewer in number these days.  If you answer they have you as a live number and they will continue calling you.  Just do not answer.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I hate robo calls, especially the ghost calls (of which I get many!!!) where they clone your area code and prefix so it appears to come from your local area (I have an out of state cell phone so these are easy to spot).  I use a call blocker but there needs to be national legislation to stop these!

@patbz.  National legislation is unlikely to help when the calls are mostly international in origin.  How can the US order soneone in in another country to stop doing something?  What would be the possible repercussions?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I wish there was something they could do, from the telephone providers, to completely prelude auto-dialing and the fake number/name CID info.  That would make it stop, if those things were stopped from being able to make a connection.

It's a drag that we have to pay the phone bills, yet have no control whatsoever as to who is able to use our phone numbers.

I turned the voicemail off, on my landline, a long time ago.  Even if they didn't set out to leave a message, if it rang through you would get a 'message' anyway that you had to clear.   If somebody I wanted to talk to were to call I would see the 'missed call' info and be able to call back.   I'm on the phone so little, anyway, that it never happens because I'm always home and 99% of the time would see if a call came in from somebody I know.

Esteemed Contributor

These calls are getting out of hand.  When the phone rings it is stressful.  I don’t have a landline, but finally made sure all the numbers I need are a “contact” and then just set all other numbers to “do not disturb”.  Love it.  If someone new needs me they will leave a voicemail.  

Respected Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

I've not been offered a back or knee brace.  I get the call saying I inquired about secondary insurance. (I did not)  There is an option given to not receive the call again.  The option does NO GOOD. The call frequently comes from a number I have personally called.  Often caller ID has shown either one of my doctors' numbers or even our own number.

Articles say picking up and answering the phone just alerts the companies that yours is a current working number and then they sell your number to other companies for money so their advice is - just don't answer.  I have Verizon for my landline (which is needed for my security system or I'd get rid of that) and Verizon gives us nomorobo free for that - the phone rings once and call goes away.  I rarely if ever get these calls on my cell phone.  I don't subscribe to anything for my cell phone but I will go in and block a number that turns out to be telemarketer.