Honored Contributor

Re: How to stop the calls about the back or knee brace paid for by Medicare.

I guess I just don't understand why people keep answering these calls.

If you put all the people in your life, with whom you would tend to speak by phone, in your address book, you won't see a call that could be one of them  but not sure.   It will say 'Dad' or whatever you put in for the name, and you can know it's that person.

Outside of that, the calls are unsolicited and answering them just legitimizes your phone number for them to continue to use AND to sell to others just like them.   Why don't some folks understand this?   It's not like it's a lie.  It's 100% true that the best way to go is to not answer them.

I know that doesn't make every single one of them go away but it makes a huge difference in how many calls you get.   I still have days where I get 2 or 3 calls, and many days with none.   But I never hesitate to keep from answering them.   I do have 'block' buttons on my handsets so I just hit block unless nomorobo catches them first.

BTW, somebody mentioned that there is a fee for nomorobo.  There is NOT a fee.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt.  As I said above, I don't get those calls.  On the rare occasion I get a call from an unfamilar phone number, I never answer it.  When they hang up after 3 or 4 rings that confirms for me it's a solicitor.  They don't want to waste their time listening to your answering machine. 

You're right, picking up the call confirms for them that they have a live working number worth trying again, and again...

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt 

NOMOROBO-

For mobile phones there is a fee......Landlines are free but not available from all phone carriers 

From their website:

MOBILE
Affordable protection for your smartphone. $1.99 per device, per month
  •  24/7 real-time protection
  •  No ads. No gimmicks.
  •  Stops over 1,287,000 robocallers
  •  Free 14 day trial!
  •  Protect iPhone and Android smartphones
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@violannTell them you and your husband dropped your medicare coverage.  

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@chickenbutt 

NOMOROBO-

For mobile phones there is a fee......Landlines are free but not available from all phone carriers 

From their website:

MOBILE
Affordable protection for your smartphone. $1.99 per device, per month
  •  24/7 real-time protection
  •  No ads. No gimmicks.
  •  Stops over 1,287,000 robocallers
  •  Free 14 day trial!
  •  Protect iPhone and Android smartphones

Thank You for that information.  I apologize, especially to Lovesrecess, for my error.

I tend to automatically think of landlines as far as spam stuff, and forget about the other.  

The spam calls that get through to my cell phone are few and far between - like maybe one every few weeks, but I had contemplated getting nomorobo on my cell phone.  At the time I looked into it, it was not available for my type of phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 through Sprint).   At that time it was only available for iPhones.

Honored Contributor

Wo, that went weird.    I don't know why my post ended up on the right side of the field.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was receiving at least 7 to 10 calls a day from unknown numbers and many were those back/knee brace calls.  I never answer a call if I don't recognize the number.  But the deluge of unwanted calls were so irritating.

The best thing I did for myself was buy a phone with a "Call Block" option!!!  I now barely get one 'unknown' call a day.  I can block a phone number quickly as their call is coming through.  If I get a call and they don't leave a message - usually a scam call - I block the number.  Any friend, family or real call would leave a message!

Respected Contributor

I've not been offered a back or knee brace.  I get the call saying I inquired about secondary insurance. (I did not)  There is an option given to not receive the call again.  The option does NO GOOD. The call frequently comes from a number I have personally called.  Often caller ID has shown either one of my doctors' numbers or even our own number.

Honored Contributor

We still have a landline with phones in the kitchen, family room, etc.  Over Christmas break I was complaining to my son about the annoying calls and wouldn't you know a call came through just then. 

I usually don't bother to answer but this time I said in a loud voice to him..."Let's see who's calling now".  At the same moment he picked up the extension in the family room while I was on the kitchen phone and I said, "Who is it?"  My son replied with a silly name and we exchanged a few lines until the person calling hung up.  If it were really someone important they would have said something.

I'm also sick of the phone calls and I don't understand how they make any money bothering people....no one likes being called constantly...who buys from them?!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will be 65 this spring.   The medicare calls are coming in all day and even into the night.  I don't answer and I block them.  My phone only blocks 250 calls that that fills up in no time at all.

No more robo has never worked and we are on the do not call list.

Some days, I just take my phone off of the hook.

I also started to get calls from the popular electric company in my area...it's a recording that says if I have paid my bill on time for the past six months to press #1 and I will get a 25% discount on my electric bill..yeah right!  I don't get my electric service from this company.  My sister said she has started to get these electric calls on her cell.

I can do call forwarding on my phone...I should forward all calls to the 1-800-loveline or the psychics.