Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to save money this winter

I don't live in snow, but I do most of what you said to do.

The flannel sheets, extra clothing and blankets.  Sweater on the dog so I do not keep heat on at night.  

I wake up at 6 AM and turn on heat to 70. Doesn't go any higher and go back to bed until dog wants to get up at 7.

I warm up the house like now, and soon will turn off heat. Dog has sweater, I have flannels on and a thermal robe.

I also have flameless candles in every room and in the fireplace. So the only light I have is the TV.

Now I have to figure how to turn TV off, because I fall asleep and wake up at 1AM.  So a few hours it's running and I'm sleeping.  Also have socks on from muk luks.

Good advice you gave.

I'm also on PGE payment plan. Low in winter and higher in summer.

Honored Contributor

I open up all the blinds and the front door late morning and let the sun shine in.  It heats the living room, dining room and my reading nook up nicely.

I do turn the heat down when I go to bed.  I love to sleep in a cool room.

I never let the dishwasher go through the drying cycle, I turn that feature off and open the door after the sanitized cycle is done.  No, there are not spots all over my glassware.

We use an outside oven in the summertime, but take advantage of the heat of the oven in the winter.  Although, I do make several meals at one time in the oven.  (If I'm making lasagna, I may make a meat loaf, too.  Both pans fit.)

I still hang my wash outside on a line.  All year.  Everything, but unmentionables, although our back yard is kinda private.  Most people here have a clotheslines for bathing suits, wet suits and beach towels, you don't have to live in a *poor neighborhood* to be able to do this....

Super Contributor

Sorry, I worked for 52 years to be able to live comfortably.  I will admit things sometimes dictate cutbacks, but I'm 74 yrs old, and I already have my house set on 70 (instead of 75 2 years ago).  I layer up, does media and or government suggest that I need to die a slow death to cold?

I earned the right to be warm, within reasonable limits.  Maybe we need to reassess what is needed to keep Americans comfortable.  And that includes commitment to ensure that we who live in the USA are cared for. 

Honored Contributor

I have "comfort 365 windows' in my house. They're great except they don't allow the heat from the sun to come inside so even if I open all the window shades to let the sun it, it won't get much warmer. But on the flip side, my windows keep the heat from going out the windows b/c of the special glass in them. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I hate it when my feet are cold...makes the rest of me cold, too. So I always layer two pairs of socks and wear my furry bootie slippers a size larger so they fit over the layered socks.

Then to make things extra toasty w/o having to crank up the heat, I put down on the floor a heating pad under my feet and drape a Berkshire fluffie throw on top of me. Toasty tootsie delight.Woman Very Happy

I use a heating pad occasionally too! 

I lived in Minneapolis in 1972-1974. I was more concerned about style than protecting my feet from snow and cold.  I still pay for those frostbitten big toes.  

I finally tried Ugg Ultra mini boots and Tasman. I wear them as slippers. It's 21 degrees outside now, my thermostat is set at 66, and my toes are comfortably warm. When it's really cold, I wear a pair of socks with them. All I have to do is replace the Ugg insoles each fall. They're 3 years old and still look like new.

Honored Contributor

We've got snow on the dome. Hubbs has been cutting wood.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man