Respected Contributor

How to handle those groceries items re: virus

For those that might have questions about how to handle items from the grocery and/or take out I am going to post a youtube video that has been circulating.

A little back story on this, this video link is being supported by several docs and nurses here that support it and a few even communicated with the doc that did the video.  The video talks about how to unpack your groceries and how to clean the articles, including fruit.  

A couple of things that were pointed out by a couple of nurses was his particular hand washing to which he states that he abbreviated the process for sake of time of the video assuming people knew about handwashing and wanted to concentrate on the other aspects.

Ironically, this morning I made my first trip out to the grocery in over 2 weeks and when I came home, I did the exact same things.  Except I didn't have any fresh produce today.  I am not a germaphobe by any means, so my husband was absolutely surprised by all my wiping down, putting in different containers, etc.  Told him these are extraordinary times.  lol   And thank goodness I have so many Lock n Lock big containers!

Here is the video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1YGuc7o43Dlyx2vdPRFqtA_Aqj0e... 

For those that are interested, hopefully it will provide some useful information or tips.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Re: How to handle those groceries items re: virus

@pitdakota This guy is EXACTLY like me. Except the fruit; to wash, I'd wash in a plastic sink bin with water and soap, then into another plastic sink bin with water for rinsing and then, after washing, would have been put into a plastic bowl, not into the drain area of the sink. The drain area is microbe heaven. 

If you are interested, I posted, two days ago, the study about the length of time the virus can survive on surfaces. 

Respected Contributor

Dead woman walking!  Or I can just pour gin on everything.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but I think everyone is over reacting.   I wash my produce the same way I have always washed it,  wash my own hands often as I have always done, but this is the type of concern that is leading to hoarding and panic.   Social distancing is the key.  You won't catch it from your groceries.  I don't think they have identified one case that was caught from groceries.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-food-risk.html 

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@RoughDraft -

LOL! Love this! Thanks for the first laugh of the morning!

I needed that. We gotta laugh right?!

😭😂

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@LexaMom wrote:

Sorry, but I think everyone is over reacting.   I wash my produce the same way I have always washed it,  wash my own hands often as I have always done, but this is the type of concern that is leading to hoarding and panic.   Social distancing is the key.  You won't catch it from your groceries.  I don't think they have identified one case that was caught from groceries.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-food-risk.html 

You are probably right about overreacting but I would rather be safe than sorry.  It only takes a few minutes to wipe things down and it makes me feel better...if I catch it, it will not be because I did not take every precaution they tell me to take. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He does give good advise EXCEPT for the part about leaving your groceries outside....Its been 90 degrees here in Texas the last couple of days...(.although we've been promised a "cool front")...... And Id worry about the feral cats and neighborhood dogs getting into my groceries....

Ive always washed my produce the way he showed because of reports of the possibility of contamination with so many people digging through them at the store...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@pitdakota This guy is EXACTLY like me. Except the fruit; to wash, I'd wash in a plastic sink bin with water and soap, then into another plastic sink bin with water for rinsing and then, after washing, would have been put into a plastic bowl, not into the drain area of the sink. The drain area is microbe heaven. 

If you are interested, I posted, two days ago, the study about the length of time the virus can survive on surfaces. 

Thanks @Mindy D!  Good idea about the plastic sink bin.  

Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Woman LOL    Well, yes gin might work.  But be sure to save some to drink! Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

I get wiping/cleaning everything that is going in refrigerator or freezer.  But can't you just let the nonperishables sit for 3+ days before you touch them and not worry about disinfecting them.