Valued Contributor

Re: How to get rid of blackbirds at my feeder.

I live practically in the woods so skunks, raccoons, o'possums, deer etc are commonplace here.  I am about 200 feet from wildlife refuge.  Bird feeders, nesting boxes are encouraged.  We do enjoy the birds.  Not just hundreds of blackbirds. 

Esteemed Contributor

I only feed my finches. No other birds like, nor can they land on my feeders filled with nyjer/thistle seed. I always have TONS of finches with no other pesky birds! 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

It is survival of the fittest around here.  Hawks and bald eagles are all around.  Also herons and egrets come and pierce fish in the koi ponds.  I was taking a walk with my dog the other day and a red tailed hawk came down and landed on a limb about 5 feet from me and screeched this horrible sound.  I think the dog was scared too.  lol

Esteemed Contributor

I've found most of the "nuisence" birds at feeders are easily discouraged after being chased off several times.  When I see them gathering I open the door and tell my dog to go to work. 

He spots the birds and races toward them and they fly off.  I may have to do this two or three times in a short period but that is usually enough.  A few weeks later they may return and try again and I just tell Teddy to go to work and we repeat the process.

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.
Are you setting an example or being an example?
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I only feed my finches. No other birds like, nor can they land on my feeders filled with nyjer/thistle seed. I always have TONS of finches with no other pesky birds! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here. I have a finch feeder that other birds can't perch on.

The doves and quail eat what falls to the ground. Everyone is happy.

~Enough is enough~
QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TaxyLady

Change what you feed the birds.  I put out thistle for the sweet little birds and safflower seed for the pretty bigger birds – I particularly like cardinal in the winter.  Both seeds are more expensive, BUT….the piggish birds rarely eat these two seeds – so it is more cost effective in the end.  These two types of seed require different types of feeders, as thistle is tiny and safflower seeds are larger.  Do NOT put out sunflower seeds or millet if you want those black birds to leave.  Put your feeder where squirrels and chipmunks can’t get it because both love safflower seeds and they will drain the feeder quickly.  If you are in a winter zone, pick up suet at the grocery store from the butcher and ask for some netting for a roast – long enough to fit the suet inside and tie a knot at both ends easily.   Hang the suet from a tree with a long "S" hook – like you would hang plants from.  Suet helps the birds keep warm in the winter and feeds them, too.  This method is cheaper & better for the birds than buying the processed stuff they sell as suet in mass market stores.   Enjoy your better collection of birds!  Eventually the big black birds go away when there is no food source around that they like.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

We also have everything and nature does take its course from time to time.  As fas as the blackbirds & etc go they're just passing through and will be gone.  Besides my hanging feeders, which are under the deck roof, I throw bird seed- we have a rather large back yard to lots of food is well away from the house-  so any passing blackbird & etc can eat and move on.  If it's hungry or thirsty, I take care of that- it's just me.  It isn't unusual to see a couple hawks just sitting on the fence or front porch.  The little birds know when to depart the premises.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How would you like to deal with this problem......when thousands of grackles descend upon our city in the winter.........For some reason they especially love our grocery stores......the grocery stores have hung owls, have the security guards drive around with air horns ...... and they even cut down a tree near the entrance due to the bird mess.....hasn't stopped them.......downtown they even tried firecrackers.....but all that did was scare tourists....Then they tried lasers, but the birds just moved to another part of town...  Grackles are pests and from what I heard mean to other members of the bird community......so if anyone has a solution let me know so I can pass it on...

Image result for grackles in san antonio, tx        Image result for grackles in san antonio, tx

Image result for grackles in san antonio, tx

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/columnists/josh_brodesky/article/Be-prepared-grackle-season-has-...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is what I've observed on a larger level.

Here in Dallas, black birds like to migrate to

certain pockets of town and wow....it gets BAD. Thousands!

A shopping center placed plastic, fake owls on top

of their buildings...along with a pre-recorded 'owl screech.'  

Gone.  

You probably don't want to use the screech, but placing

plastic owls around might be worth a try.

I did a quick Google search...and it apparently works.

As for squirrels?

You might as well give them a key to the house.

They own the back yard.  

@Spurt

YES!  This is exactly what certain parts of Dallas metroplex has.

It's kinda cool to see the 'sea of birds'...but that lasts only

foe a second until they poo all over everything! Ha