Trusted Contributor

I call my basement "the store."  Four-shelf racks (about 40 of them) are down there.  Kitchen goods are in one area of racks.  Papergoods and other supplies are in another area of racks.  It goes on and on.  The other floors are next.  What I really want is a jewelry closet installed by a professional closet company.  Merry Christmas to me??? LOL

Respected Contributor

I have too much clutter.  I appreciate all the tips.  My clutter began when I began to have knee problems with arthritis; I can't do too much for too long as my knees start to ache.  I like all the suggestions.  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I’ve been strongly influenced by The SLOB sisters Card System.

In a nutshell:

Assign a task for every day & rotate the cards every week/month/qtr.

Every morning pull your cards.

i.e...every Wednesday I gas up my SUV. I could have a 3/4 or 1/4 tank.

I fill up regardless. 

i.e..every Thursday I dust surfaces. I don’t vacuum, windex or sweep..I just dust surfaces.

i.e..On Friday I’ll sweep, etc.

Just a little bit every day. 

For this focused program, other than the practical application,

it really became a ‘lifesaver’ for me. Back in the early 1990s,

I was in a really dark place & this silly card thing gave me

focus every day.  I can’t recommend it enough. 

That is a very good program.  I still have my box of cards I've used for 4 houses that needs revamping to fit the current house but I haven't used it consistently.  It works better for me than the Fly Lady system.  I'd like to find a way to merge the two, they both have positive aspects.  Just reading this makes me want to get back into my cards that are in the junk drawer in the kitchen waiting for me.  LOL

Respected Contributor

As much as I like The FlyLady and the Slob Sisters (agree they both have good points),  Peter Walsh had two thoughts that have been my guides since I first heard them:

• When, in the garage, he opened a celebrity's trunk filled with her deceased mother's clothing (that she said meant too much to part with), it was full of mold.  He very pointedly asked her if that was her idea of honoring her mother.  In other words, either give it real honor by putting to use or pass it on.  Even if, in his words, she had taken scraps for quilting or used the fabric to make stuffed animals.  Neglecting is not honoring and can easily turn into burdening.   So I ask myself, "Am I honoring this?"  If the answer is "no," I give it to someone who will.
  •  "You don't need more space.  You need less stuff." 

Preach, Brother!

P.S.  One tip I follow:  Once you finally find the object you've searched high and low for and are finished using, put it back in the first place you thought to look for it.   There's a reason you made that association, and you will likely do it again. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: How organized are you?

[ Edited ]

I don't think I need to have any formal method of time organization.

I just do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.   I'm flexible and my life isn't complicated.  If I see dust, I dust/vacuum.  If the hamper is full, I do laundry, etc.

I use Outlook calendar to keep track of appointments.  I have two standing commitments each week and everything else works around those commitments.

ETA:  I keep a notebook on the table by the door and jot down when I need something from the store - rip out the page before I go shopping. 

My bookcases are organzed by genre.

My CDs and tapes are all numbered in CD holders and tape holders.  The list is computerized and a printout in the desk drawer.

Honored Contributor

At least four of us remember the slob sisters on QVC. I had their card system but discovered I was already pretty organized and tidy - still, they were funny and had a good system.

Respected Contributor

I just want someone to do it for me and then I'll start fresh!!

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

I just want someone to do it for me and then I'll start fresh!!

There are services available. 

I know The Container store has professional organizers.  LOL 

Esteemed Contributor

20190806_155453.jpg

My stockpile of goodies.

Honored Contributor

@threecees!  I thought that was a photo of a store!  That is your supply pantry?  Well done!