Honored Contributor

Re: How often do you take selfies?

I don't know how.

If I need a pic of myself at an event or whatever, I ask someone else to take it.

Honored Contributor

One aspect of this thread is highly amusing to me.

Months ago, I started a thread about my 40's FB friend who posted posed glamour selfies multiple times a week, or multiple times per day.  I said "I don't get it" (other than sheer vanity) as to why a woman of that age would post that type of selfie so very often.

I was ripped a new one six ways from Sunday for feeling as I did. Everyone does it, why not if you want to, quit being so judgmental, what a b**ch you are, you're clearly not her friend, what do you care what other people do - are you jealous, etc etc.

Fast forward to this thread, which is making far harsher judgments in far harsher language than was in that thread. I find the judgments on anyone who has ever taken a single selfie, or who has appeared in or taken group shots and shared them, for whatever purpose, just as ludicrous as the judgment placed on those who dislike constant vanity/duck-lipped "glamour" shots. 

Not every selfie is a vanity shot, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the concept of a selfie. It's when either is taken to extremes that we question it. But not every shot is an extreme, contrary to the opinions of some.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I personally have never taken a selfie and never will.  My choice.

The thing I find sad, and stated in an earlier post in this thread, is when people pay to see a play or concert, and the entire time they are busy taking selfies and posting them to FB I assume, and miss the entire show, not to mention, it is distracting to those of us around them..

I recently attended a play and three women that had to be over 50 spent the majority of the time either taking selfies or sending them who knows where. I just could not believe it. The tickets for the play were not cheap, so what was the point of paying to "not see the play"? 

Maybe someone here can explain it to me, as I just don't "get it".

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

I've never taken a selfie because, after all this time, I know what I look like Smiley Happy

But I often ask my daughter to send me a selfie... when she's at work wearing a new outfit or hairstyle.  I just love seeing how she puts things together.

@CatLoverDogsToo

Re: sending them to who knows where... I suspect it's for their file to commemorate the occasion or to a friend or relative.  Not a mystery, imo.

My daughter went to see Hamilton not long ago.  I'd love to see it, but my health is a consideration, so she took photos and sent them to me.  Not during the play, but before, of the set and the theater.

Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo, I'm afraid I see absolutely no relation between my post and yours, so not sure why you addressed my post?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@Noel7  you said:"My daughter went to see Hamilton not long ago.  I'd love to see it, but my health is a consideration, so she took photos and sent them to me.  Not during the play, but before, of the set and the theater."

Now that makes perfect sense and is not at all distracting. That I "get". What a considerate, nice daughter.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

Thank you @CatLoverDogsToo

Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I've taken ONE selfie of myself, I scared the daylights out of myself because of how I looked. I haven't done it since & I won't do it again, unless my hair is styled & I'm made up.

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

I've taken ONE selfie of myself, I scared the daylights out of myself because of how I looked. I haven't done it since & I won't do it again, unless my hair is styled & I'm made up.

@sgraham30

😀

Honored Contributor

I do occasionally but it's mostly for me to see how a new wig looks. I rarely update my profile pics on social media.