Super Contributor

How often do you receive broken or damaged goods?

I received four orders yesterday - two of which were damaged.  One order was for wine glasses that were shattered  and the other for a game that was crushed.  How often does this happen to you?  A total nuisance. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How often do you receive broken or damaged goods?

@gellen wrote:

I received four orders yesterday - two of which were damaged.  One order was for wine glasses that were shattered  and the other for a game that was crushed.  How often does this happen to you?  A total nuisance. 

I bet it is going to happen more..delivery drivers are so busty that they don’t have time to place a package carefully down.They seem to be toss and go.

Honored Contributor

In over 30 years with QVC, I've received 3 or 4 broken items.  And that was years and years ago.  However, I'm smart shopper.  I also live in a location where I can buy anything and everything I could ever want.  So, I don't take chances with certain things.   Like wine, or home decor items that look they are fragile.  I'd rather let something pass me by then go through the disappointment and hassle of having a crystal angel arrive with a broken wing.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gellen 

I rarely receive damaged products. In every instance that I recall, the packaging was at fault. Glasses tosses in a box with almost no padding to protect them, bottles stuck in thin bags, etc.

I don’t think I've ever received more than one damaged order from a company. They seem to fix the problem and not repeat it. The most recent incidence was the result of the company trying a new company to pack and ship their products. They stopped using the company because they did not do a good job.

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen 

It happens often enough to where I know not to order anything really fragile.

The problem for me has almost ALWAYS been the smaller boxes inside the big boxes.  By that I mean, the original box the item is packaged in is often not managed well. 

But, the place shipping the item will securely package the smaller boxes in a larger box and that's great, but the items still shift in their original boxes.

As an example, I ordered some gingerbread cookie jars from Hobby Lobby.  They were securely packaged in a very large box, but when I opened the box containing the jar, it was shattered.

I took pictures of the damage and received a credit, but it is, as you said, a total nuisance.

I've tried explaining this to many places and they just yes me to death, so, I often think twice before ordering items I know will likely arrived broken.

Honored Contributor

I order a lot online.  In all my years of shopping, I received one item that was damaged.  It was a manufacturing defect and not related to a rough ride before delivery.

Even items from e-bay sellers arrive packaged well and intact.

Esteemed Contributor

I've only received 1 item that was broken. It was a picture and the glass was shattered. The company didn't pack it very well to begin with and by the time it got to me it looked like it had fallen off the truck and been run over a couple of times. 

Valued Contributor

Never.  I do my shopping at the local b/m stores and malls.

Honored Contributor

I think with the fast trend to more and more online shopping, we'll find ourselves dealing with a whole set of issues that local shopping rarely presents.  Sometimes it will be damage, sometimes it will be delays, sometimes it will be costs.  I just can't see perfection in either way to shop.

Right now, I'm finishing a late cuppa and then I'm off to exchange a top I was "sure" would fit so I didn't try it on.  It's a good/bad thing to live so close to major local shopping!

Honored Contributor

I've had a couple of shipments lost over the years, but can only recall one or two damaged shipments.