Respected Contributor

Re: How often do you hear from your grown children

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I speak to my two grown daughters a couple of times a week. I speak to my 94 year old mother at least once a day. She often calls me 2-3 tines a day. She has apologized for calling so much but she says she's lonely. I'm her lifeline. My husband gets annoyed by all the calls but I think I'll miss those chats one day.

Believe me, you'll "miss" those "chats" more than you know...don't ever take away the small pleasure and comfort she has from connecting and chatting with you, her daughter👵❤️👩

My mom passed away six years ago. We spoke every night for about a hour. That was the best part of my day and I miss it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have four daughters.  My oldest and I are estranged, which is a source of great sadness for me.   But I have three others, one of whom lives with me.  I am in touch at least weekly with my other two and they are a great source of help and love to me.  We are a close family.  They are all grown middle-aged women now (early 50s) but as busy as their lives are, they manage to fit me in.  

I lost my own dear mother when she was 49 from lung cancer.  I lost my beloved sister almost five years ago from lung and colon cancer.  Were it not for my children and grandchildren, I would have no one near me.  I am a very lucky woman.

I have an extended family, very large, but they live far away and we don't get together very often.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

DD calls her dad every morning.   DH calls his dad every evening.  Same time for both.  DD calls me daily when she wants to and weekly when she wants to.  I don't expect her to "check in" daily, but I love it when she does.

I was not one to call my mom or dad daily.  Mom wishes I would and dad was proud of the fact I didn't.  Wish I could call him now, but he knows. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I have only one child, a son 59. When dh and I decided to move we just happened to find a house  close by to him. Since dh died a few months ago he calls and comes over often. He is my handyman for a lot of things going wrong. If he was married I doubt if I could count on him this much. I don't drive so we go grocery shopping when there might be a sale too far to walk. He likes thrift stores so we spend time there too.

How sweet.

Frequent Contributor

I talk to my daughter nearly every day and my son calls a couple of times a week.  There are probably 5 or 6 texts throughout the week in various combinations.

What I don't do is talk to to my friends about how often I talk with my kids.  Is it possible that you're "bragging" to your friends and they're reacting to that?  Just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

I think it's sweet that a son speaks to his parents a few minutes each day. I see nothing wrong with it.

in the late evening.

I have four grown children who don't live in the same state as me, two in Pennsylvania, one in upstate New York and the other in Maryland. We have group texting which usually starts early in the morning and ends late at night. We share thoughts, news, jokes, grandkid's videos, recipes and everything else under the sun. I speak to two them throughout the week and the other two a few times a month.

Our family does the group text too. Sometimes I will look at a conversation months later and I swear we need our own sitcom. Parental guidance suggested of course!

lol my parents just recently got phones with text capabilities and since then, we also have family group texting! It is fun!

@HappyDaze It is fun and a great way to stay in touch when you don't necessarily feel like getting on the phone and having a full on conversation!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Someone I knew well never understood family closeness.  Basically, she scoffed at it.  She wasn't affectionate with her children at all.

When her two were grown, one moved far away, the other, now married, doesn't have much to do with her at all and she is forbidden to stay at their home when visiting the area.  They have numerous extra bedrooms, she just isn't wanted.

Give me close and loving ties every time.

Surely there is more to the estrangement between that woman and her sons than her not being affectionate and not understanding family ties. Forbidden to stay at the home of the one near her when she visits the area is extreme. I wonder what kind of upbringing she had or what could have happened along the way.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Someone I knew well never understood family closeness.  Basically, she scoffed at it.  She wasn't affectionate with her children at all.

When her two were grown, one moved far away, the other, now married, doesn't have much to do with her at all and she is forbidden to stay at their home when visiting the area.  They have numerous extra bedrooms, she just isn't wanted.

Give me close and loving ties every time.

Oh that is so sad. That is definitely not how I would want my family. I do think people are raised a certain way and they are just uncomfortable with closeness because they never experienced it and don't know how.

It is 5pm here and I have already seen my daughter once and talked to her twice. She came to pick up my grandson this morning because he slept over last night. We were having breakfast when they came to pick him up so they joined us and then we all went swimming. It is hot here today. Last night when my grandson slept over we put a blanket on the grass and laid back and looked at the stars. He loves doing that. 

When choosing friends, I usually choose people who feel the same about family. Even my friends who didn't have a close family, they may have not grown up with strong family but they have made one with friends and others they let into their life.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@kathnern wrote:

I talk to my daughter nearly every day and my son calls a couple of times a week.  There are probably 5 or 6 texts throughout the week in various combinations.

What I don't do is talk to to my friends about how often I talk with my kids.  Is it possible that you're "bragging" to your friends and they're reacting to that?  Just a thought.

@kathnern wrote:

@kathnern wrote:

I don't consider that bragging but her normal life with her kids. Perhaps no one  actually asks the specific question about how often you speak to your kids but it comes out in other ways through conversation.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

Our son, daughter-in-law, grandson and granddaughter live in Sweden, so we SKYPE 2 or 3 times a week. Sweden is seven years ahead so I call about 1am our time so I can eat breakfast with our grandchildren. 

Our other son lives three hours from us and we talk on the phone a couple times a week. But we do text one another just for fun.

After my Father passed away, I would call my Mother every day to make sure she was doing well. She was a woman ahead of her time and I know if she was living now, she would have a computer and cellphone.

Wow, I don't know how to edit but I just noticed that I said seven years instead of seven hours. Woman Embarassed