Respected Contributor

Re: How often do you fill your gas tank?

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm going to be the freak show here - I only need to fill mine about two times a year.    I'm almost down to 1/4 tank so I need to get on that, and actually planned to today but that didn't work out.

I can't even remember when I filled it up last.

@chickenbutt, First my apology to the op for going a little off topic but I am rather desperate.

Chickenbutt, I remember a long time ago that you said there was something that you used to keep the battery from running down in your vehicle. My husband is very ill and no longer able to drive but his car battery keeps running down and it makes him really anxious. What is the name of the item that you use, because I HATE having to take it out and let it run to keep it going.

By the way it is so good to see you here again. Folks have been worried.

I fill my tank when it hits the half mark.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Good to see you around, @chickenbutt.

i don’t really keep track of how often the main car is filled up.  Probably every three weeks my husband will get gas when we are on a Costco run.

Thank You!  It's nice seeing you also.  I hope you are doing well these days.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm going to be the freak show here - I only need to fill mine about two times a year.    I'm almost down to 1/4 tank so I need to get on that, and actually planned to today but that didn't work out.

I can't even remember when I filled it up last.

@chickenbutt, First my apology to the op for going a little off topic but I am rather desperate.

Chickenbutt, I remember a long time ago that you said there was something that you used to keep the battery from running down in your vehicle. My husband is very ill and no longer able to drive but his car battery keeps running down and it makes him really anxious. What is the name of the item that you use, because I HATE having to take it out and let it run to keep it going.

By the way it is so good to see you here again. Folks have been worried.

I fill my tank when it hits the half mark.

Yes!  The thing is called Battery Tender Jr.  The AAA guy told me about it when I kept having dead batteries and, at that time, I didn't understand why.  Turned out it was because I drive so little now.

I keep it in the back of my car and plug it in (I have an outlet in the perfect spot in my garage for when I back my car in) every few weeks or so and that keeps it charged up.   

You could just plug it in whenever you park your car and just leave it plugged in but I just know that I would forget and go plowing out of the garage with it plugged in.  EEK!!  heh

I got mine at one of those auto parts stores but you can also get them (probably for less) in places like Amazon.  

HTH  Smiley Happy   Thank You for the welcome and I hope you are doing well.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I never let mine get below 1/2 a tank.  Usually fill it once a month now.

When I worked it was once a week and then some depending on errands.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Me, either.  I grew up in the snow belt, and running out of gas in winter could mean freezing to death.   Now, here in SoCal, your A/C wouldn't work.   I fill my half empty  tank every 7 to 10 days.

Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 I'm right with you.  I have a 2018 Lincoln MKZ  that can't pass a gas station and it's only 4 cyl.  Fill at least 2 times a week and sometimes more if we go on long drives.  I also have a 2017 Trax and that can get me month's worth of zipping around town.  In September  so far we have between me and my husband  10 doctor's appointments that are at least 60 mile round trips.      

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Right now it is once every 6-8 weeks. A year ago it was every other week. A few years ago it was once a week and years back it was 2-3 times a week! 

I currently let my tank get pretty close to empty. A quarter tank often lasts me over two weeks. I use the car almost every day but I don’t go very far. 

When I had a long commute I refilled before it got that low but I used a lot more gas at one time, too. These days a half empty tank means I won’t need to buy gas for a month!

Honored Contributor

Twice a month 

Honored Contributor

I fill it about every 7-10 days, or when it’s just below 1/4 tank.  I sure don’t have the time or the desire to spend more time filling up, when not needed.  

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I'm "odd woman out" on the topic of gas consumption:  DH and I occasionally gas up twice in one day and we still put 20,000 miles yearly on our primary driver.  As we live three and a half hrs from Phoenix and we go there 2-4 times a month (primarily Costco and doctors).  When we pick up the grand's we drive 1000 miles in three days ( and then make the return trip in two weeks or two months (baby momma isn't dependable so she NEVER drives kids or picks them up).  We have two cars and a truck but it seems we always take the Buick (late year model, hybrid and very comfortable); of course we do oil changes, tire rotations etc religiously and have AAA, just in case.

Honored Contributor

When I worked at my last job, I knew when I should fill it. Between half and a quarter tank. Can’t remember how long it lasted as I’ve been retired for 10 years. Haven’t bought gas since then. Husband takes cars for fill ups. I only drive if I have to! Lol.