Esteemed Contributor

How much space to you need vs want

[ Edited ]

I prefer to live in a smaller space.  Enough room so it is uncluttered and enough storage space to store the things I need when not in use.  Going more minimal, why pay for space I do not actually need.  Then I have more money for things I want to do.  How about you.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: How much space to you need vs want

We have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo about 1,100 sq. ft. with several large closets.  More than enough room for DH and me.

Whenever I see houses 3,000 sq. ft + my first thought is who cleans it and how much does it cost for heat and a/c.  No thanks!

Respected Contributor

I want both. Big house and money to do what I want 

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

I want both. Big house and money to do what I want 

Why would you want a big house if you really do not need it?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

If I could, I would have a larger walk in closet for my wardrobe. The overall size of my house is fine. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in a house with very few things in it. I'm an extreme minimalist. All rooms, except for my living room and one bedroom are completely empty with just a few things stored in one of the closets. I live alone here with my dog and for me there is a strange comfort I get from being surrounded by empty and open space. Somehow it clears my mind. Believe it or not, but it takes work to keep my house clutter free...more than most people realize. So I would not want it any bigger. It's perfect the way it is.

Honored Contributor

We are getting ready to downsize.  I've had the big house and I'm tired of the upkeep. 

It's just the 2 of us most of the time, and we have so much unused space.  I can easily live in something smaller.  We don't like clutter and a lot of "things." 

I would have a hard time giving up a huge master bedroom/bathroom/walk in closet.  If I could have that, it would be ideal.  LOL

Honored Contributor

We have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo with a lot of closets, including a big walk-in closet with wall to wall shelves.  We also have an onsite storage locker.  It's just hubby and me, we have all the space we need.  We use the second bedroom as a family room,  the couch is queen size sofa bed if have guests.  I believe we have 1400 sq feet.  This is more than enough space for us.  I particularly like the storage space.  We raised our family big old colonial with and we needed those 10 rooms and the land, kids need space inside and outside.  When they finished college and moved out on their own; we couldn't sell that big house fast enough.  

Honored Contributor

I like a well-designed small home.

Respected Contributor

I have a small home now (2 bedrooms and one bathroom).  I prefer small space living.   What I don't like is not enough storage space.

So if I could have a home with small living space with a separate large area of properly outfitted organized storage space I would be happy.  I have a lot of items I have acquired over the years, and would like a space to neatly keep them so I could swap out my decor.