Esteemed Contributor

Re: How much should a headstone cost?

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

The way I was brought up, visiting loved ones' graves wasn't something we did.  I've already told my kids they can cremate me.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Same here. Both my wife and I agree on cremation. I visited my mom's grave regularly the first few years after she died. The cemetery was closed to work, far from my home, so I would stop after work a couple times a week.

Since I am frugal and want no particular type of service, an urn it will be. 

Almost all of furry family members that died, we have had cremated. We have them all together in their own cabinet separated by the year they died.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

About 4 years ago we purchased a small flat one, granite, and it was, I believe $1,500 engraving included.  I can't say for sure, but I would imagine that the price you printed would be about right.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I know that when my father passed, the stone (all in) cost a little over $2000.  It's large, probably about the measurements you mentioned and has a moutain scene depicted on one side and name on the other (dates on front).  It's a double stone (my Mom on other side).  When my father passed she wanted it all taken care of, even the engraving.  Now the company that does the engraving charges an extra fee for engraving.

Respected Contributor

P.S.  Should of mentioned.  That was 15 plus years ago.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all so very much.

I'm sorry I did not see many replies until this morning.  I fell asleep in my chair at 7 last night.

This has been an exhausting time for me.

I guess marble is a poor choice but it is my favorite.  The grave will be in a very old part of an old cemetery and the stark newer granite choices just feel kind of modern, although they are very very beautiful as well.

Thanks to you all again.  You've been very helpful and I appreciate it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just thought I would mention that while my faith allows cremation, ashes are to be buried in a cemetery.  That’s what I personally would want.  

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I will be cremated and probably scatter our ashes by a lake near where we live.  My parents were both cremated as they wanted to be interred at Arlington.  They were both beautiful and meaningful services and there was no charge by Arlington, including a flat ground level marker.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

The way I was brought up, visiting loved ones' graves wasn't something we did.  I've already told my kids they can cremate me.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Same here. Both my wife and I agree on cremation. I visited my mom's grave regularly the first few years after she died. The cemetery was closed to work, far from my home, so I would stop after work a couple times a week.

Since I am frugal and want no particular type of service, an urn it will be. 

Almost all of furry family members that died, we have had cremated. We have them all together in their own cabinet separated by the year they died.

hckynut 

@hckynutjohn  You don't have to be frugal when you die. You can't take it with you!