Trusted Contributor

Re: How much do you pay for a haircut?

@Jacie wrote:

$60 for wash, cut, blow-out. When I need color it's an added $70. 

I finally gave up coloring at home! It's worth every penny!

I could not agree with you more-WELL worth it and lasts 2X as long.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cut my own out of fear

but I took my granddaughter to Jose Eber and haircut and style and highlight was  450. Christophes was less , about 250 plus tip.  In my small town a haircut is about 25 at supercuts to 80 at a salon.  My grandson 16 gets his hair cut and styled for 45 without tip somewhere here in town.  My daughter goes to one here.  She has long, thick, thick coarse hair.  She gets color, trim and style and it is 190

I highly recommend jose ebers in BH, especially of you have problem hair..  They sift through every hair.

back in the day I taught trichology at a beauty school..  From having a student work on me once i developed "scissor fever".   I get in a salon chair and i grip the chair arm, then I start directing.  I am so awful, i can't  stand myself. So, about 25 years ago i quit.  

Honored Contributor

I live in NYC and go to a salon in Nassau County. It's not a fancy place, that's fine with me.The owner charges $45 for a cut and blowout. I always get my hair colored too so it's $88. My mother uses the owner (he doesn't charge extra for him) and I use a woman in the salon.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I used to pay big (for the time period) money for the premier salon in our area, but woke up and realized I could find a good person if I looked long enough at the cheap chain salons, and I did.

Great Clips, when not on sale is like $13 now (just got a cut a few weeks ago with a coupon for $5.99!). Never have colored my hair. Happier with the look now then back in the late 80's when I was paying like $40 at the premier place. 

I usually tip $5 for that full price $13 cut, and the girl has said most people there don't tip at all, and rarely do they get a $5 tip for a cut. 

Life in Ohio can be so affordable!

@MominohioI attended Ashland University in Ohio and some of the best cuts I ever got in my lifetime were at a small salon in town. I loved living there. Heart

@Trinity11

Oh my! I have a lot of relatives in Ashland and spend a lot of time there. 

It is the quintessential small college town in the Midwest! Go into any diner/restaurant in the area, and you will find the perfect mix of farmers and academia. Then you throw in the Amish population (not sure how long ago you were there, as the Amish population in several counties around here has exploded since the 1970's) and you have pure Midwest living!

If you haven't been to Ashland in decades, it unfortunately is loosing some of it's small town feel. More of downtown is empty than I'd like to see, but still very vibrant, and out route 250 they have the usual explosion of several miles  of retail and restaurants and big strip malls now. 

I don't know if when you were in this area, you ever got to Wooster, but it is like a bigger better and richer Ashland. Again, a perfect mix of agriculture and a great college. It's larger, more affluent, and has more culture, but still very small town feeling. 

I could move to and live in Wooster very easily. 

I learned something new about you today! That is so cool!

@Mominohio, I was there in 1971 and 1972. I had to leave because my mom was ill and she needed me to return home to New York. Back then Ashland was a college and fairly small. I loved my experiences there. The people were friendly and I lost my New York accent there. LOL I went back in 75' to a wedding but haven't been there since. 

I do remember Wooster. My roommate lived there and I often went home on weekends with her. My boyfriend lived in Shaker Heights which was a beautiful town. I remember he was in Sigma Nu fraternity and we did a lot of socializing ...dances, fund-raising for different causes all during a time very different than today.

Beautiful memories of a state I loved living in...Heart

@Trinity11

Wow! It has been a long time since you've been back. Ashland College is now Ashland University, and the campus has really grown since the days you were there. 

Wooster has grown since then too (where hasn't?!!)

In my opinion, Wooster has only gotten better. Ashland.....just different not really better (except the campus, that is better!). The College of Wooster is still a beautiful campus too, and such beautiful historic buildings both on campus and all over Wooster. 

Ashland managed for many years to keep out the most of the fast food restaurants and big chain stores, but not now. 

I'm not sure if it was there back in the early 70's but there is a local diner down Claremont toward downtown called Kelley's Deli that has been a fixture for as long as I can remember. Do you remember it being there or eating there? Good food, cheap, and that mom and pop local diner vibe. At least all the new hasn't run out a lot of the old local places.

I think you'd be surprised if you came back for a visit, how much the same many things are. 

Honored Contributor

shampoo, haircut, blowdry.....$48, not including tip.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I go every six weeks for a trim and root color. I pay $100 plus a $25 tip.

At one point when I was scouting for a new place, I realized that what I pay is a bargain around here. That was when I was going to a different stylist in the shop that I wasn't crazy about; the one I go to now is much better with my curly hair and actually charges me a less than her predecessor.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

Haircut prices have really increased.  For experienced stylists in my area is $65 which I think is ridiculous.  I pay $42 without tip with a stylist that has a few years experience.  I feel like I am playing checkers jumping around trying to find someone that can cut hair.  I believe you either have a talent or you don't and it's good when the stylist can think out of box so to speak.  I hope this new stylist I have seen once will continue to give a nice cut.  Since my hair is short and I am retired, I have it cut every 8 weeks.  Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1

It's not just about the haircut.   I'm guessing from all the comments here that people aren't taking into consideration the owner's cost of running the salon.   

If the monthly rent on the salon was, for example, $2500.00 a month, and the landlord wants to increase the rent on the new lease to $5000.00 a month, the cost is going to be passed on to the customers ... can't help it ......  and it's not the owner's fault.   If they leave and move the salon to  somewhere else, they can risk losing half their customers  .... or more.   

Honored Contributor

Guess I am in the 6%

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

Welcome to Wilmington.NC you will love it here.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely nothing, nada, zero . . . LOL!!

My daughter who lives with me was a very highly regarded hair stylist, who specialized in cutting (she always cut the hair of all the owners she worked for).  She's the best, and she can still do it when she has the energy.

But, like the proverbial "shoemaker's shoes," I have a hard time getting my hair cut because it can be cut any time.  I am hoping she will be able to cut it before my grand niece's wedding coming up this July!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986