Esteemed Contributor

Re: How much do you pay for a haircut?

We get ours for free. My aunt has cut hair for 40 years. Even owned her own shop. She is very good at what she does. We go out to her house about every 8 weeks and get it cut. My mom does give her $20 for her hair color. Since my aunt doesn’t own her own shop anymore she has to go to the supply store and get it.

Honored Contributor

Haircuts--the bane of my life lately-----was paying $18 plus tip, for 15 years or more--had a wonderful girl do my hair but she had carpal tunnel surgery and decided not to go back----then found another great person who cut my hair 2x--paid $40 pus tip, that was sticker shock--then she moved to AZ----so went to another girl and she botched my cut after 2 attempts to fix it---another $40 down the tubes. Went to another place and got my ugly cut fixed but paid $45 plus tip for that one------so we are talking 3 cuts in 3 weeks for over $100 !!!! Woman Sad I live in western WA. 

Honored Contributor

I used to pay big (for the time period) money for the premier salon in our area, but woke up and realized I could find a good person if I looked long enough at the cheap chain salons, and I did.

Great Clips, when not on sale is like $13 now (just got a cut a few weeks ago with a coupon for $5.99!). Never have colored my hair. Happier with the look now then back in the late 80's when I was paying like $40 at the premier place. 

I usually tip $5 for that full price $13 cut, and the girl has said most people there don't tip at all, and rarely do they get a $5 tip for a cut. 

Life in Ohio can be so affordable!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I used to pay big (for the time period) money for the premier salon in our area, but woke up and realized I could find a good person if I looked long enough at the cheap chain salons, and I did.

Great Clips, when not on sale is like $13 now (just got a cut a few weeks ago with a coupon for $5.99!). Never have colored my hair. Happier with the look now then back in the late 80's when I was paying like $40 at the premier place. 

I usually tip $5 for that full price $13 cut, and the girl has said most people there don't tip at all, and rarely do they get a $5 tip for a cut. 

Life in Ohio can be so affordable!

@MominohioI attended Ashland University in Ohio and some of the best cuts I ever got in my lifetime were at a small salon in town. I loved living there. Heart

Honored Contributor

Wow!  For once I fall into the majority.  Supercuts senior rate or a coupon.  Including tip always less than $20.  See no point in spending more on something that needs to be done every 6 weeks or so.  

Honored Contributor

I can't get shampoo at salon because of back issue. 

All these places listed are within a couple of blocks of each other in residential area of Manhattan.

Earlier this year, I started with a new stylist.  She charges $25 for a cut and style.  (female stylist)  So far so good - after three cuts.

Before her for about a year - $50 for dry cut.  (male stylist)  He was good, but too chatty and gossipy.

Before that ... for about 10 years I went to this funky unisex salon that charged $20 for a cut.  (male stylist)  Number of reasons why I left.  

Before that ... went to Jean Louis David chain for a while ... but they closed.  I think it was about $40 with tip.

Before that ... for years ... a little place around the corner that charged $16.00 - they retired and closed!  (female stylist)

Honored Contributor

I pay $100 for a cut, color & style + 20% tip.  I get a weave with foil.  I have this done every eight weeks.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I love in N.VA, about 20 miles from Washington, DC.  I pay $50 for a shampoo,cut & blow dry and $45 for color, $95 since I go every 6-8 weeks and get both done at the same time.  We're moving to the Wilmington, NC area and I've been looking via the internet and prices are more there, I was surprised, I thought I'd be paying about the same or a little less.  It's going to cost me $130 for what I was paying $95.  I may have to start coloring my own hair, the haircuts are about the same price but the color is more expensive.  

Esteemed Contributor

Just got my hair cut the other day.  Real Short.  I think she cut off about 3".  It curled right up.  The bill was $20.  I gave her $5.00 tip.  Not bad since I get my hair cut about 3x a year......  The same woman has been cutting hair for 45 years.  I don't trust anyone else.

Honored Contributor

I usually go to an all women barbershop.  It's $14.  The average price in the area is $35.