Honored Contributor

How much do you pay for a haircut?

I saw this poll on CBS Sunday morning

$10 or less        12%

$11 - 25.            45%

$26 - 50.           13%

$50+                   6%

Cut your own 21%

I live in NYC and paid $50 + which I thought was pricy but I've been going to her forever. She retired and I had to find a new stylist. Can't find one that I'm happy with and thanked my lucky stars I went to her for all those decades. Now I go to a salon school and pay $25. I'm more happy than results in the past. I sure miss my own stylist.

What about you?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How much do you pay for a haircut?

$55 not including tip.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine comes to me and she doesn't own a salon anymore, but is a Home Health Caregiver, and does hair on the side, I pay 10 dollars for the cut, and 20 for the color.  On my tight budget she is very good. I know I'm lucky to have her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

$30 and she comes to our house.  I do my own color. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

$175  + 20% gratuity. Live in major US city where everything is expensive.

Honored Contributor

A cut is $50 but I never go for just a cut.  I had my spring "work" done last week and I paid, which is average for where I live.   

Cut   $50

Color  $40

Wash and blow out  $45

Deep Conditioner  $20

....and the 20% tip

Valued Contributor

$45 for cut and blow dry.

I do my own color

Trusted Contributor

Local salon in outer borough of NYC. My cut is $20. I have short hair. Price includes washing beforehand. Tip is extra. Hasn’t increased in price in at least 5 years. I don’t use  other salon services, so I can’t say how much anything else is. 

I tried a perm a couple of years ago to see to see how I looked in short curly hair; that was $100 and included a haircut. I loved the look but no one, not family or friends, liked it at all. Thumbs down from everyone. *sigh*

Realizing the perm (only I liked the look of) would have to be renewed about 4 times a year and the expense was $400 a year  instead of just a cut every month for $240 a year, I let the perm grow out and just come in for the cut. 

I’ve been with my stylist for easily more than 25 years. 

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve had the same hairdresser for 30 years.He owns a salon now about 45 minutes from where I live.He also lives about 15 minutes from me so he has me come to his house . I get a fabulous cut & blowout for $40.

He told me just yesterday that he is thinking about retiring. But has assured me that he will always do my hair!!

Honored Contributor

$75 for cut, blow dry and styling. That's relatively inexpensive for the area I live in. I tip $20 because she really does a nice job.