Honored Contributor

Re: How many times have you fallen in the bathroom?

@suzyQ3  I mean if you are old and don't to do rehab or PT simply because you don't want do and you die sooner, to many people it is more important to do what you want than to eek out a few more months or years.

And I respect that.  So if you don't want to do it and fall in the tub it's your choice.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3  I mean if you are old and don't to do rehab or PT simply because you don't want do and you die sooner, to many people it is more important to do what you want than to eek out a few more months or years.

And I respect that.  So if you don't want to do it and fall in the tub it's your choice.  

@Sooner, are you talking about rehab or PT after falling? Or are you talking about peope who choose to remain sedentary and then fall due to that choice, per Foxxee's first post?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee The home is one of the most dangerous places for the elderly, period.  My mom once fell in the bathroom and I found her laying in the floor.  On the vanity, you could see where she had clawed with bloody fingers trying to pull herself up.  Mom's blood pressure would bottom out after her heart surgery and she was independently stubborn and did not wait for me to get there.  One of my friends mother fell through the glass shower doors and cut herself up very badly.  She was diabetic and her blood sugar had bottomed out.  Hope that your friend is on the mend!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

No one wants to fall and die alone in their bathroom. That's a lousy way to go. Why would you think anyone wanted to die that way?

Though balance exercises and adaptive equipment are helpful, they can't prevent accidents. And they can't regulate your electrolyte levels and blood pressure. When the body loses its ability to regulate those things, they can quickly and eaily go out of kilter beyond your control and make you fall.

That is what happened to my grandmother. She kept falling. And I assure you she cared about her life. My whole family cared about her life. She wanted to live, just like we all do. She did her exercises. She had help. She still kept falling. And it was certainly NOT her fault. How insulting to her memory to insinuate otherwise.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain I have no idea how you extracted and lept to all of that from what I said.

I said it is often more important to older people to make their own decisions than do what they need to do to live longer.  Period.  End of idea. 

And as a child of very much older parents, I have known and buried a lot of the--some of them had no children or older only children, so guess who got funeral duty? 

SOMETIMES IT IS MORE IMPORTANT FOR OLDER PEOPLE TO MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS THAN TO DO WHAT THEY SHOULD DO.  

At least in my vast experience.  Maybe it's just my headstrong relatives.  Example:  My dad was out on his tractor before the doctor ok'd it.  A friend was horrified and said I must take the keys away what would happen if he died on his tractor.  I said we'd bury him.

He said he was glad I know what he would want and respected him.  Doc told an uncle he could drive now and the uncle said "How the hell do you think I got here?"

But that's my gang, not yours. 

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I have when I was in my thirties from a slick bathtub from my kids bath bombs and I hurt my tailbone. We have a separate bath and shower now and I'm very careful even though the floor has grippers because of that. 

@GenXmuse My kids love those stinkin things! They make the tub slippery!

I have to really make sure they clean out the tub after using those (but they do smell good)

Honored Contributor

@Sooner Okay, fair points. But their stubbornness isn't why they fall and hurt themselves. Not doing everything they can to care for their bodies can contribute to failing health. But we all know how to live perfectly and none of us do absolutely everything we can. It's not a direct rational choice.

I can relate to what you are saying about dealing with strong willed relations who are not open to doing things differently.  My mom could do some things to live longer and healthier, and she is just too exhausted from her daily activities and managing her pain to do anything extra to help herself. Drives me up a wall, but there is a limit to how much feedback and how many suggestions I can provide. And though she agrees with me in principle, in practice she continues to do what she does. She isn't falling though, thank God.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

(thread title)

@SilleeMee 

Never! Ran into the door/stubbed my toe on the tub/hit my head on the sink etc.? Broke a toe/opened a gash in my head, probably others I forgot.

But fall?  Never happened.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I have when I was in my thirties from a slick bathtub from my kids bath bombs and I hurt my tailbone. We have a separate bath and shower now and I'm very careful even though the floor has grippers because of that. 

@GenXmuse My kids love those stinkin things! They make the tub slippery!

I have to really make sure they clean out the tub after using those (but they do smell good)

Haha! The glitter ones are so hard to clean up and that film!! But what can you do? The kids love them!

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

(thread title)

@SilleeMee 

Never! Ran into the door/stubbed my toe on the tub/hit my head on the sink etc.? Broke a toe/opened a gash in my head, probably others I forgot.

But fall?  Never happened.

hckynut 

Woman Very Happy Even on the ice???????  Woman Wink