Honored Contributor

Re: How many times have you fallen in the bathroom?

@Sooner wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

I haven't fallen in or outside the bathroom and don't intend to.  

Falling is rather common in the elderly.  

Doctors tell me it's mostly caused by muscles atrophying due to a sedentary lifestyle.  There are other reasons, some medical, but still they insist seniors sit too much.  

My father began falling.  His doctor sent him to physical therapy.  He stopped falling.  I warned him he'd be returning to PT if he didn't stop sitting in his lounge chair all the time.  I purchased a mini-cycle to exercise his lower torso.  Physical therapy also gave him exercises to do at home.  So far, so good.  

The problem though, seniors often return to sitting after physical therapy.  

A neighbor missed the toilet because of balance issues from sitting too much.  She broke her hip.  She became ornery whenever doctors suggested she go to physical therapy.  This is what happens when seniors become obstinate.  No, she didn't have dementia.

She had surgery, then placed in rehab in a nursing facility.  She died there from Covid-19.  All of this was preventable.  

@Foxxee Lots of things are preventable from DUI on to viruses.  Sometimes to an older person doing what they decide to do is more important and preferable to a longer life.

I can understand that viewpoint.  And I respect it. 

@Sooner, I can't quite figure out the meaning of your reply as it pertains to falling in the bathroom.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@SilleeMee  At age 73 I can say it has never happened to me. Ever.

At age 87, me either.

Honored Contributor

NEVER!

I have a very small bathroom ... there really is no room to fall.  From the door to the tub is four footsteps, and if I extend my arms I can almost touch the wall on the left and the wall on the right.

I have a non-slip mat in the tub - no problems getting in or out.

Actually the perfect size bathroom.  I can clean the whole room in about 1o minutes.

Honored Contributor

Never.  I am only 61 but I do have spinal stenosis and arthritis in my knee both of which mean I have to be EXTRA CAUTIOUS to avoid falls.  I have a suction non slip bath mat for the tub when I shower.  I wash my hair at the kitchen sink because the conditioner and hair mask I use would make the tub too slippery, even with the bath mat.  Hubby installed a grab bar on the side to help me get in and out of the shower safely.  Falling in the tub is more common than people think.  Even for younger, healthy people.  Daughter #1 fell in the tub and sprain a knee when she was 14.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've fallen several times (mostly on snow/ice) but, so far, never in the bathroom.  I take many precautions though.  I use a shower mat (but even some of those are slippery) and have rugs down on the floor..  I'm very cautious getting in/out of the shower.  I also wear hospital gripper socks when I'm cleaning the bathroom and mopping the floors.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@MrsSB wrote:

None so far.

I tend to fall in the street or on the sidewalk in full public view. 

Omg.   I did that in the groceries store parking lot Saturday.  I was mortified because 30 people, or so it seemed, rushed to help.  I was with my niece.and great niece but 2 young guys hoisted me up.  Only my pride was hurt. LOL.  Itcwas my fault, I forgot to bring my cane with me.  I use a cane when I have back pain.  

Honored Contributor

My former MIL fell on her butt in the tub when she was a young girl. She broke her tail bone. The doctor told her that people who fall hard on their butts will frequently have some sort of back problem somewhere down the line in their lives. She did when she got older and eventually had to have lower-back surgery. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My friend who fell is lucky b/c her spouse was there when it happened. It would be a totally different story if I fell. I live alone and getting injured from any kind of fall or other mishap is certainly a serious concern of mine.

Most accidents happen at home, @SilleeMee. Be sure not to have clutter around, rugs, extension cords, anything that make it possible to fall. A doctor told me once, do not go anywhere at home at night w/o turning the light on. We all think we know our way in the dark.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always worn mules or shoes that have the backs out.  Never a problem until 2010.  I was wearing Sietchers sneakers with the backs out.  Started down the stairs (that's all I remember) and apparently walked out of one, tripped and fell all the way down the stairs with the bottom wood railing hitting my left cheek, stopping me cold.... and out cold.  My DH heard it, came in and said I wasn't breathing and called paramedics.  I remember hearing a woman's voice that she was going to put on a neck collar.  I thought I was answering "that's ok".... but DH didn't think I was.  I remember being in the ambulance.  I remember a CT scan but mostly I was unconscious.

I had 3 brain bleeds and a concussion.  They healed without an operation.  The only thing that remains is a slight imbalance and the doctor didn't think it would get better and it hasn't..... but good grief I'm grateful to still be here..... *smile*    

I realize I hadn't answered the OP's question.  No, I have never fallen in the bathroom.  Also someone mentioned strengthening "the core".  As a 2nd degree Black Belt, the concentration of exercise for this discipline is definitely "the core" because that is the core of our body's strength (for defense).... so I agree 1,000 percent.  exercises to strength the core of our bodies is the essence of all of our strength.  Also, as happened to me, once an injury has happened to our brain (mine affecting my balance), it usually can 't be helped much.  I've tried for 11 years so far and my (slight) disability is about the same (and that's what the doctor told me at the time).... 

Good luck to everyone climbing this slippery slope called "age".....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

My dr said to work on your core...she said it can definitely help prevent serious injuries if you fall or have a dizzy spell, etc....food for thought.