Honored Contributor

Re: How many times have you fallen in the bathroom?

[ Edited ]

I have when I was in my thirties from a slick bathtub from my kids bath bombs and I hurt my tailbone. We have a separate bath and shower now and I'm very careful even though the floor has grippers because of that. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am only 54 and I have never fallen in the shower. However, two years ago, I got out of the shower, and decided to weigh myself. I Jumped on the scale, and quickly went to walk away. My feet slipped completely out from under me on my carpet. I did not partially fall, I completely fell flat out and hit the floor. I even banged my head.

Now, when I step out of the shower I make sure to step into my slippers, and wear them around my bedroom as I am getting ready. 

Super Contributor

None so far.

I tend to fall in the street or on the sidewalk in full public view. 

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   Never; however, when my mother fell on the bathroom floor and could not contact anyone....it changed the trajectory of her life.  I am more aware and conscious of my surroundings and actions.

Honored Contributor

I've hit the back of my head on bathroom doorknobs a few times. No idea how I did it, but it's happened. Hurt like a BLEEP! I've actually fallen in the tub or from a rug slipping out from under me once or twice in my life.

One thing I've noticed with the elderly in my life is that once they started falling and breaking bones regularly, things got worse from that point on. When I hear an older person fell and broke something, it makes me catch my breath. If it doesn't happen again for about a year, then we're sort of off the hook for a while.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago,  when I was in my 30's I slipped in the tub and bruised myself. I was not being careful.  But, I am very careful ever since that incident.  The thought of it still scares me

Valued Contributor

Zero!

Ask me how many times I've fallen down icy (wooden) steps, however (LOL) Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Never, but I do understand why the bathroom is a common place for falls.  It's the one place in the house where you combine water, slick surfaces, and bare feet.  I have slid on the shower floor after trying and in-shower body moisturizer, so I save my mositurizing for after I get out of the shower.  

I'm a big proponent of doing balance exercises especially as you get older.  Even when I was skating, which I haven't done since our rink closed for the pandemic, I would do balance-specific exercises as part of my workout at the gym.  I tried to tell my Dad that, but he said he didn't have time even though he would go to the Wellness Center and walk.  Then, he started getting dizzy and fell a couple of times.

I recently had some obstinate vertigo, so I got in at my Ear Doctor's balance center to get the Epley Maneuver done on me.  Even though I know HOW to do the maneuver, it is important to know which ear the crystal is in the canal or you could just make it worse.  When I went back for a follow-up they also did a weird balance test on me where you just stand there looking at the inside of a giant egg and apparently the floor imperceptively moves underneath you.  Part of the time is done with the eyes closed.  I got a 90%; the average for my age is 60%.

Honored Contributor

@sann wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Never but I notice I am always asked at my cardiologist's office, if I have fallen recently. It seems to be a question asked by all my physicians...

I get the same question.......

If you have Medicare, this question is required along with " Do you feel safe at home."

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Never but I notice I am always asked at my cardiologist's office, if I have fallen recently. It seems to be a question asked by all my physicians...

I'm wondering if they ask this in particular due to certain medications that someone may be taking that can cause lightheadedness when standing up from a sitting/laying position.

If you get up too quickly, it's even possible that you could faint, and then fall.