Super Contributor

Re: How many times have you fallen in the bathroom?

My mother is the queen of falling in the bathroom. Thank goodness she is in a personal care home because she has fallen at least 3 times falling asleep on the toilet. The last time she went to the ER for stitches on her forehead.

Trusted Contributor

Hasn't happened yet to me. Thinking about this, I don't know anyone who has including my parents, my in-laws, grandparents....cousins.....nope, no one.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Sooner 

I am connecting to the meaning of every word you've said, which is spot on to what comes out of my 87 year old mothers mouth every single day!   

Mom insists on staying in her home alone until she dies, period.   She does not care about any of the details that point to how unsafe she might be; she is in the only place she wants to be.   She does not want to be with other people; she wants to be left alone in the house she and Daddy built, that is filled with happy memories.  

We can visit; the shorter the visit the better, and we are not to walk into her house and look for something to complain about.   As she said, she never came into our houses and told us what to do, and she expects the same when we are in her house.   Mom is not dusting or sweeping, but her kitchen is neat and clean, she keeps her laundry done, makes her bed every day, and she is clean.  My brothers and I have to accept that, and just take it one day at a time.   

Mom has been out in public 2x this year, and has one medical appt to go.   She refuses to get vaccinated. We concentrate on keeping her safe in her home, and despite the mounting challenges, it has worked so far thru the efforts of us 3 kids, our spouses and 3 adult grandchildren.   We have promised to do our best to keep her where she wants to be, and I pray every day that we never have to remove her from the home she loves.  

God bless you, @RedTop, for letting her live her years as she wishes. What you think is best is fine for you, but she doesn't want any part of it.

I'm of the same mind, not interested in everybody coming to my home and telling me what I should do and what is best for me. I have not begun my declining years yet. 

When my mom was in her late 80's, God bless her, she just would listen to all the advice from her children, quietly, and then just went on and did exactly what she wanted to do.

Many elderly do not want to live a sacrificial life in order to live a year or two longer. One of my brothers was exactly like that, and he is no longer here. He always said what was wrong with him was his fault, but that's the way he wished to live.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a heads up.  When I was on vacation last week, I popped into the campground's bath house while I was out for a walk.

There were signs on the wall that said not to use any type of powder, including baby powder in there because it made the floor slippery.

That made sense to me and I wouldn't have thought of that.

Be careful, everyone.

Honored Contributor

Once.  I hurriedly got out of the shower to answer a ringing phone.  Slipped and hit the floor like a beached whale.  Since I was home alone at the time I decided no call is important enough to kill or injure myself.  I told my friends call back in 10 minutes before you send out the sheriff's patrol.