Honored Contributor

Re: How many times have you fallen in the bathroom?

Never but I notice I am always asked at my cardiologist's office, if I have fallen recently. It seems to be a question asked by all my physicians...

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Fallen in the bathroom in the tub, shower anywhere in there? 

I can't remember ever falling in the bathroom. I just got a call from a friend who just came from the ER with stitches from a fall in her tub where she hit her head and gashed it open. I hope that never happens to me! I guess falling in the bathroom is a common place to get injured.

Interesting question.  The fear of falling anywhere, especially in the bathroom is at the top of my list since I now live alone and I'm getting up in age. I take every precaution to ensure that I don't fall but of course accidents do happen. But I do keep my fingers crossed that I don't have any falls or other accidents.

Respected Contributor

My SIL recently fell on her tile bathroom floor. Thank goodness she only had bruises.

When my mother fell getting out of the tub, she broke her hip. Her life was changed forever until she passed years later.

I have a towel bar anchored in where I enter/exit the shower and grab that.

I'm currently building a new house. Just on Friday,  I changed from having a tile floor in the master bath to a textured LVT after my SIL told me she fell. I also have a single vertical grab bar at the entrance/exit of the shower.

Something isn't right with building codes if such a large percent of women falling occurs in the bathroom. There needs to be a safety change.

Esteemed Contributor

Not yet ever, but I did recently fall in the (heavily wooded) back yard and also off a portable stool in the kitchen.

Both times I saved myself - knock on wood - and I attribute much of it to good proprioception because I stay pretty active.

Of course I could be singing a different tune the next time, but so far, so good.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently tripped over computer wires in our condo and tripped over a curb on the street.  So far, twice but never in the bathroom yet!  We did install grab bars in both our bathrooms, one of our best investments!

Honored Contributor

I have never fallen in the bathroom.   I have a walk in shower.   I have a throw rug to use when I get out.   I'm careful never to step in water that may be on the floor.  I'm always afraid I'm going to go sliding on the tile.  I have a soaking tub and I never use it.   

Honored Contributor

Once.  Stepped out of the shower, dried my body, took one step off the rug, my foot slid backwards on the tile floor and I was down on my right hip before I knew it.   

Trusted Contributor

We have a tub/shower combo (which I dislike) and always had a fear of slipping and falling when getting in or out.  Just last week my DH installed 2 grab bars for me.  They are extremely handy and am so glad that I have them now.

We tried the "suction" kind of grab bars but they would fall off the wall and I didn't trust them.  So these are securely anchored to a wall stud and I feel much more secure getting in and out of the shower now because I have to step up and over the side of the bathtub and now I have something secure to hold on to.

Falls are nothing to take lightly, especially when we get older.

Honored Contributor

Never, maybe when your friend fell, there was a rug out of place or something slippery on the floor.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Never but I notice I am always asked at my cardiologist's office, if I have fallen recently. It seems to be a question asked by all my physicians...

I get the same question.......