Trusted Contributor

Re: How many times have you dropped your dinner plate

I don't recall ever dropping a plate full of food.  What I vividly remember though is one time after boiling ravioli and then taking it to the sink to drain in a colander.  I poured the ravioli in the colander too fast so they all flew out of the colander and swirled down the drain!  The dinner menu quickly turned into PB&J sandwiches!  🤨

Honored Contributor

Never.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop   Many years ago, my husband and I used to go to a wonderful dinner theatre...closed down now, called Three Little Bakers.

It took us about two hours to drive there through heavy traffic, so we left early to get there on time.

We were one of only a few couples there when the doors were opened.  We were served drinks and sat talking while the wait staff prepared the buffet tables.

I saw an employee drop a huge prime rib onto the carpeted floor.  He quickly picked it up and placed it on the cutting board at the carving station.  He never even attempted to cut away the meat that hit the floor, nor did he take it back into the kitchen to clean it up or toss it out.

My husband loves prime rib...his all time favorite.  He went without that night.

I should have reported the incident, but I didn't.  I wonder if the meat had red and black carpet fibers on it.  (I know it had to )YUCK!

Respected Contributor

I have not had this happen thank goodness.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

luvmyteddy,   An insurance person would rate my AM coffee in a high-risk assessment, as I often unknowingly tilt the cup and spill the coffee out.  Not every morning, but many mornings.  I've stopped using my favorite cup, which is probably designed for tea. It has an upper edge that flares out.

Coffee sloshes around, and some almost always splashes out.  On the bright side, I have very absorbent coasters!

I once dropped a Thansgiving turkey fresh from the oven, but hadn't yet made the gravy.  Cleansed the fallen sector of the bird. I would think that gravy spots would be difficult to clean up.

Julia Child, when she would occasionally drop something on air, would just say, "Whoops!" and pick it up. Of course, we don't have her staff of clean-up people. 

I do drop dishes sometimes, esp. if I am thinking about something else--which is often!  Slippery items such as my mom's fabulous bolognese sauce, I've also been known to tilt, tip over, or upset. In the  case of a sauce, the spilled part has to be discarded. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@RedTop   Many years ago, my husband and I used to go to a wonderful dinner theatre...closed down now, called Three Little Bakers.

It took us about two hours to drive there through heavy traffic, so we left early to get there on time.

We were one of only a few couples there when the doors were opened.  We were served drinks and sat talking while the wait staff prepared the buffet tables.

I saw an employee drop a huge prime rib onto the carpeted floor.  He quickly picked it up and placed it on the cutting board at the carving station.  He never even attempted to cut away the meat that hit the floor, nor did he take it back into the kitchen to clean it up or toss it out.

My husband loves prime rib...his all time favorite.  He went without that night.

I should have reported the incident, but I didn't.  I wonder if the meat had red and black carpet fibers on it.  (I know it had to )YUCK!

I went to a dinner theatre once and pretty sure I had the prime rib which is my favorite. I would have said something and hoped they had another one in the back. I would have been really disappointed.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

There is NO WAY on this good earth that I'm going to toss a whole turkey just because it hit the floor!  We don't have inside pets and my kitchen floor is steam cleaned, so my family of 4 would've eaten the turkey!   

@RedTop   @luvmyteddy4 

Years ago I read an amusing story ... not sure if it was real, but I'll paraphrase.  

A very wealthy woman was hosting Thanksgiving dinner for a dozen people.  They were all at the grand dinner table.  Her maid came through the door with a large tray holding the gorgeous turkey ... and she dropped it!  

The room was silent, all the guests were horrified.  The host took charge by telling her maid:  "That's quite all right, Helen.  Please take it back into the kitchen, and bring out the OTHER turkey".  

With that kind of hostess disaster, I hope I would have thought quickly enough to save the day.  LOL

Super Contributor

Sad to say I am in this club😆.  Many years ago, having Christmas dinner at my moms house.  I had been through the "buffet" line at the kitchen counter with my plate loaded down.  As I approached my seat, somehow I flipped the plate upside down on my mom's crisp white fancy linen tablecloth.  Needless to say, she was not happy.  Everyone laughed at me.  I put what was manageable back on my plate, cleaned the cloth and proceeded to eat.😩

Respected Contributor

@Carmie   I knocked my ice tea on the carpeted floor last night.  Not for the first time.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I would end up dropping the whole tray.