Esteemed Contributor

How many of you have a cleaning lady and how often does she come?

What is the going rate?

Honored Contributor

Re: How many of you have a cleaning lady and how often does she come?

Don't need 2 of these. Sorry about that.

Honored Contributor

Gloria......There is so much that I can't do anymore, so I went to a company that came highly recommended to me. It is The Cleaning Authority. They have franchises all over. So, you might want to check them out in your area. I went on the internet to find them here in the St. Louis area. The Cleaning Authority.com........ They came to my apartment, checked the size, etc. And once they were finished we sat down and discussed what would be done. They do a pretty good job. And what I like, is that it is the same team every time. The first time they sent 3 girls, but understood that one of them was in training, and that there would always be 2. It's amazing how they move (boy, wish I could move like that again) and get everything done. They are bonded and insured.

I have a small apartment that consists of 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living/dining room, and 1 bath. The first time I had them it cost me $89.....and then each time after that I pay $69. They come every 4 weeks. And in between their coming I am able to keep things picked up, and clean in the bathroom (but not like they do). And of course I do keep my kitchen clean and do my dishes daily.

I know you and I are the same age, and guess you are getting to the point I was when I finally made the decision to do this. My sister (down in San Antonio) told me about them. Her next door neighbor uses them down there. She has a house and has them come I believe every 2 weeks.

Good luck.

Super Contributor

Gloria: I don't have a cleaning lady but just make sure any company you choose has bonded employees.

Also make sure the rates are the same for basic cleaning; some will do a ""deep"" cleaning every so many weeks and that rate can be higher for that day.

Trusted Contributor

Mine comes every other Friday. I have large, 2-story home: 4 bedrooms, three baths. In addition to the living room, dining room and kitchen, we have a small library room and a sunroom that they also clean. I pay $120.00 each visit for my cleaning lady and her assistant. They are great.

Respected Contributor

Gloria..I have had one for years. I have always hired through friends and check references. Mine comes every other week and charges 20 an hour. She also washes my windows for an additional charge. If you are a member of Angie's List, that is a good resource to find help.
Valued Contributor

I used to hire 2 sisters who had a cleaning company---when I was in the hospital for 4 1/2 months, Mr Sylvia let them go---they were very expensive but I have a big house and 4 pets---now, Mr and I do it (more or less). lol
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting, ShowMe. The reason I'm asking is because I got 3 hours gift certificate from my daughters for my birthday in April, and she charges 30 per hour. My daughter is bringing her here tonight to see the house and me. Thought I'd have her clean the whole house, as much as she can in those three hours, and then maybe hire her once a month for an hour - $30. She cleans my daughter's house, trading for massages. She even did a complete kitchen make-over for her, painting her cupboards and painting her counter top to look like granite. Beautiful kitchen!! All in exchange of massages. Yes, I'm now 74, I cannot get down on my hands and knees like before - and do a thorough cleaning. So you have yours come once a month - that should be okey with me then, but one hour. I don't have a basement, just one floor, like a patio home.

Honored Contributor

I am the cleaning lady...and I would say I come cheap. Hubby would probably disagree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

I call her my "Angel", I don't know what I would do without her. She works for us 12 hours a week. 9-1pm, three days a week. But we're all flexible. $165 a week. She charges $12 an hour and I give her a 15% tip. She cleans but she also runs errands, will wait for UPS to arrive. She even hemmed a pair of pants my husband bought. But he did pay her extra for that. I do have a company that comes in 3 times a year for major cleaning; walls, windows, carpets shampooed. They send two workers and that costs about $300 which includes the tip.