Honored Contributor

Re: How many here shared a room or even a bed

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

My sister and I shared a room for about 4 years, it was a large bedroom so it didn't feel that bad, but once we both had our own bedrooms, it was like oh this is so nice!!!!

My mom is an only child, so no sharing for her, but my dad was the oldest of 8, so he and his two brothers had to share.......

Respected Contributor

@Nannerbelles wrote:

I am the 8th of 9 children so there was always sharing going on.  When I was little I shared a room with two of my sisters.  They slept together in a double bed and I had my own single bed.  As I got older and the older kids got married and left I ended up having my own room.  My 2 girls always shared a room growing up as we lived and still do in a 2 bedroom house.  I don't think its' as bad as people make it out to be.

My 2 boys (exactly 12 months and one week apart) always shared a room even though we live in a 3 bedroom house. I enjoyed sharing with my sister so I thought they would too. (Dh is one of seven. 5 boys and 2 girls so always had to share everything.) When they got older, they could've separated but choose not too. They are in their thirties and still very close to one another. I believe it has a lot to do with that. We use our third bedroom as an office.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

Before my parents bought a house, we lived in a small two-bedroom apartment. I shared a bedroom with my brother for a couple of years. Once he got out of his crib, my parents bought a three-bedroom house and we had our own bedrooms.

Trusted Contributor

We moved around alot and stayed in Motels so mostly there were 2 beds, one for my folks and  1 for my brother and me. Finally in 6th grade she left him and we got into low-income houseing we got our own room and bunkbeds..so exciting. So I shared a room with him till I left home.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio My sister and I shared a bed until I was 13 or 14.  We lived in a small apartment with two rooms, a kitchen which served also as living room, and a bathroom.  Where and when I grew up that was actually luxury.  What I remember vividly about the bed sharing was that I always got kicked because I was in the way.

It sure is better to have your very own bed and to this day I luxuriate in having my own bed and hope that will never change.

Trusted Contributor

I am one of seven children, so yes, I shared both a room and a bed with my sisters. At one time, four of us were in one bedroom, and my three brothers were in the other one. We later moved into a larger house, and I shared a room with just one sister, but we had a double bed. I did not have my own bedroom until I was 14 and the older ones went off to college.