Respected Contributor

Re: How many here shared a room or even a bed

I didnt have my own bed until I went to college; there was no money for a bed and no room. My DB slept in the hallway on a cot.

Esteemed Contributor

Having three brothers, I never had to share a room. The brothers shared.

I've always missed I've never had a sister. And I have boys and never had a daughter. I miss those relationships.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, growing up my sister (7 years younger) and I  shared a room but when we got older our parents bought the house across the same street and we each had our own rooms.  

We are not close.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Lonely, only child here.  But I had the awkward experience of sharing a bed with my Grandmother until I was about 12 years old. Hard to sleep, but did the best I could. She would tell me when I was very small that if I moved my legs around in the bed rats would come up and bite my feet.  Also that if I didn't go to sleep she would call the man who hid in the armoir and have him come out and "get me".  I can't really forgive her for those nights when I made the mistake of moving my legs around. I had to be perfectly still and pretend to be asleep. It was awful.

@Perkup  That is awful. I've never believed adults should lie to kids. I can see why that sticks in your memory. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

Lonely, only child here.  But I had the awkward experience of sharing a bed with my Grandmother until I was about 12 years old. Hard to sleep, but did the best I could. She would tell me when I was very small that if I moved my legs around in the bed rats would come up and bite my feet.  Also that if I didn't go to sleep she would call the man who hid in the armoir and have him come out and "get me".  I can't really forgive her for those nights when I made the mistake of moving my legs around. I had to be perfectly still and pretend to be asleep. It was awful.

@Perkup  That is awful. I've never believed adults should lie to kids. I can see why that sticks in your memory. Smiley Sad

That's not even lying. That's child abuse.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

with siblings when growing up?

I was watching Little House on the Prairie, and was noticing Laura and Mary sharing a bed in their loft. Got me to thinking about sharing a bedroom or even a bed with a sibling when growing up.

My mother (who was born in the mid 1930's) spent part of her growing up years in a house that 17 people lived in at one time. She was among the youngest in the house, but they often slept three or four to a big bed back in the day for the little kids. 

The only time I shared a room with a sibling was one summer when I was young, as my bedfast great grandmother came to live with us for a couple of months (members of the family were taking turns taking care of her in their homes). We only had three bedrooms, one for my parents, one for my brother, and one for me. So we kids moved into one room for the summer, while my great grandma got my brother's room while she was there. 

She was basically bed fast and both of my parents worked full time, so my grandparents came in during the day to look after her and us. 

Seems like life today is much different, but how many of you shared bedrooms or beds back in the day, with your siblings while growing up? 

I shared a room with my older brother until I was about six and then moved into the room with my older sister, who was 13 and NOT happy to have me AT ALL. I was so excited to move in with her, but that faded very quickly when it was made clear that I was not welcome.  I always felt like I was intruding on HER space.  I was delighted when she went off to college and I took over the room and made it MY space. When she came home for vacations,  she didn't like that it was now MY turf. Ha!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

😳 A W F U L!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

We had 3 bedroom home, our two brothers shared a room with twin beds and my 2 sisters and I shared a bedroom with a full size bed. We loved it, bedtime was at 10p and we'd talk and talk until we fell asleep. 

Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Depending on where we were stationed my sister and I shared a room and sometimes a bed. 

It was also common to only have one bathroom. 

@GenXmuse

I hear you on the bathroom thing. So many times on here there are discussions about how many bathrooms people 'need' in their home and it is almost sickening to hear the reasons they need a bathroom for every family member and a few to spare!

We never had more than one growing up but we were just a family of 4. Some of my best friends came from a family of 10 kids and two parents (plus the mom had a half dozen kids she babysat each day) and they had only one bathroom. Amazingly enough, they all lived.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We were just talking about this last night - it was very common in homes in Pittsburgh for people to put just a toilet in the basement as a second BR - them either build a wall or more commonly - put a shower curtain around it for privacy.You would go wash your hands in the laundry sink. In a house with only one bathroom it certainly was great when you really had to go. As a matter of fact - my DH & I had the rough ins put in for a BR in our basement at our Pittsburgh home - then immediately installed a toilet down there with corregated steel "walls" around it.Had that for a while - then had a real BR finished down there.

@151949

In our area and social status here in Ohio back in the day, that lone toilet in the basement really elevated you to something special. And you are right, everyone seemed to need to 'go' at the same time, so you were in and out quick as there was a line of people dancing in the hall waiting. When that basement toilet went in, everyone thought they were the Rockefellers!