Esteemed Contributor

Re: How many here shared a room or even a bed

[ Edited ]

I have a brother 6 years older so I never shared a room with him. But this made think about this and laugh, because I have 3 granddaughters and the youngest is in the same (big) bedroom as the oldest The oldest is now 19, so she keeps saying the 13 year old is nosy and in her business, so the youngest has been sleeping on the one sofa bed sometimes (and my daughter is sick of them clashing at times). So they are going to make their computer room/office a bedroom this Summer. The youngest cant wait. lol. The oldest will be going to college (but locally, not living at college so at least then all 3 granddaughters will have their own bedrooms).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For some reason I found this thread really intersting and read every post.

I don't remember the houses we lived in before I was 8.  When I was 8 and my brother was 5 we moved into a one bedroom house with an unfinished upstairs.  The upsairs was all one big room.  My dad put the studs up and was going to make 2 bedrooms up there.  My brother had one side and i had the other side.  We had pretend walls.  LOL  When we moved 7 years later we still had pretend walls.  He never did get the sheetrock on the walls.  So we did share a very large room but had our seperate beds.

When I was 15 and he was 12 my parents built a new (small) ranch with 3 bedrooms.  We then had our own rooms and LOVED it.

When my kids were growning up, we had a 4 bedroom house but one bedroom was in the downstairs of a tri-level.  None of the kids were old enough to stay by theirself downstairs.  The master was upstairs, so we all slept upstairs.  Our son had one room and the girls shared the other bedroom upstairs.  When my oldest girl got old enough she took the downstairs bedroom and then they  each had their own room.  When my oldest girl left home the next in line  (middle daughter)  got it.  My son couldn't wait to get that "special" room.  He was last in line.  Well we moved to where we live now (built the house) when he was 15 and he never got that downstairs room.  LOL  Poor kid waited 14 years to have that room and never got it!

Of course he did get his own room in the new house but it wasn't the "special" downstairs bedroom.  This house is all on one floor.

Respected Contributor

I shared a room with my sister who was two years younger than me until I was about 10. That was when my parents remodeled the house so that the dining room was enclosed and turned into an extra bedroom so my sister and I would stop fighting. I was the quiet child. She was the wild child, but there is a point when even the quiet child has had enough. Nowadays, we laugh at how we used to draw a chalk line across the room to divide the room in half.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor

Four girls in one bedroom with two double beds.

Respected Contributor

We each had our own bedroom growing up.   But we wound up staying together in one of our rooms every night.  We also had had our bathroom.   I must have been about 13 or so when we had enough of each other and stayed in our own rooms     Lol.   She's only a year younger than me and was probably okay with it    

My kids had their own rooms but wound up staying together too.  They shared their own bathroom   

Every house I've lived in had 3 bathrooms.   I wouldn't like to share my bathroom.   I'm very territorial about that 

Respected Contributor

I have never had my own room! When I was little my sister and I had bunk beds and my brother was in the crib. When he turned 3,(4 years younger than me, sister 18 months younger than me) my parents had a third bedroom added to our house for themselves and my sister and I got their room(first with a full bed then twin beds at ages 9 and 10) We were always very close. I never wanted my own room. I thought it was great always having my best friend with me! We even dressed a like. Now I share a room with Dh...lol! I went from my dad's house to my husband's house. So I spent all my life sharing a room and most of it sharing a bed!😉

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Regular Contributor

I am the 8th of 9 children so there was always sharing going on.  When I was little I shared a room with two of my sisters.  They slept together in a double bed and I had my own single bed.  As I got older and the older kids got married and left I ended up having my own room.  My 2 girls always shared a room growing up as we lived and still do in a 2 bedroom house.  I don't think its' as bad as people make it out to be.

It is what it is!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio I shared a bedroom with my two younger brothers until I was 12. I don't remember how many beds were in the room, but it seems that I shared a double bed with at least one brother. Anyway, dad was navy and the rules were that girls had to have their own room when they turned 12, so they moved us to a three bedroom apt. Yeaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I was part of 4 silblings.  3 girls & 1 boy.  When I was small I  shared a room, then a bed with my younger sister.  Only after we moved to a bigger house, I managed to get my own room.  Then I went to college....and it started all over again, having to share.

Honored Contributor

My sister and I shared a room for about 4 years, it was a large bedroom so it didn't feel that bad, but once we both had our own bedrooms, it was like oh this is so nice!!!!