Honored Contributor

Re: How long do you wait for a doctor

Fortunately I know all my Physicians.  They take all the time needed with me, and I expect they do so with all their patients, so if they are running late I know why and am patient.

After all, they are not running a fast food drive through.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Doctors in my family all want to keep to a schedule and finish their day at a reasonable time.  However, it's hard for them to control every patient - many have questions, and often they run iinto situations and medical issues that were unexpected and require more than the scheduled time.  I wait as patiently as possible, because someday that person who needs more time might be me.  I have a schedule also, but my health is more important than my schedule.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Doctors in my family all want to keep to a schedule and finish their day at a reasonable time.  However, it's hard for them to control every patient - many have questions, and often they run iinto situations and medical issues that were unexpected and require more than the scheduled time.  I wait as patiently as possible, because someday that person who needs more time might be me.  I have a schedule also, but my health is more important than my schedule.

In my opinion, the times are changing.  Many fine doctors are closing their practices  -  my PCP of 25 years just closed his practice because of the overwhelming requirements of the government in terms of reports, etc. Fewer doctors means we will all have to wait to see one, and if you tend to walk out when you have to wait more than 15 minutes, you just may prove to be too important to be acceptable as a patient. Think about it.

Honored Contributor

They over schedule to make up for no shows. If people would all leave after waiting 15 minutes, they would no longer over schedule. We get what we're willing to accept. 

Honored Contributor

It was a follow up with my Rhumetologsit not a sick visit

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

There is a sign at my PCP's office that says "please let us know if you've been waiting more than 15 minutes beyond your scheduled appointment time". I did that once when it got to be 30 minutes and was told that if I rescheduled, they would charge me for a missed appointment! Boy, did they get an earful from me! It didn't change anything though - it's the policy set by the hospital corporation that runs the physician offices and there aren't any other viable choices in town. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Depends upon what i need looked at and it depends upon the doctor himself....if he is WORTH waiting for..

Respected Contributor

I stay until the doctor can see me.  I have more patience with doctors since a dental office scheduled me right away for a serious problem. I’m sure others had to wait because of me.

Another time, my PCP did several unscheduled tests during a visit. This took a lot of time.

It’s annoying, but I understand how doctors can easily fall behind.

Respected Contributor

I'll wait as long as it takes...I worked in a Dr's office as a teen in the late 60's & it was eye opening, being a Dr. is a hard life full of stress. Now I'm in my late 60's & volunteering at several hospitals & being a Dr hasn't gotten an easier, it's worst. I admire their skill, hard work, long hours & dedication to their patients.

Honored Contributor

I've been seeing my doctor almost 20 years.  She's very patient, doesn't rush, and addresses all of my concerns so I'm very patient with her. I'd wait longer for her than I would most.  I've walked out after an hour wait for other doctors.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment