Super Contributor

Re: How long do you wait for a doctor

I hate when they take you to those tiny, tiny, tiny waiting rooms & you wait & wait & wait. These rooms are claustrophobic!!!

Please, I'd rather wait out in the reception area. My limit is 30 minutes & that is generous.

Trusted Contributor

@bonappetit wrote:

I hate when they take you to those tiny, tiny, tiny waiting rooms & you wait & wait & wait. These rooms are claustrophobic!!!

Please, I'd rather wait out in the reception area. My limit is 30 minutes & that is generous.

@bonappetit — especially if you’re sitting there in a paper gown.  😧

Trusted Contributor

I find it annoying to have to wait but I wait however long it takes. My doctor takes the time to answer my questions and discuss the reason I’m there and I understand that he does that with all his patients and it can make him get behind. Thankfully the schedulers have figured out not to try to squeeze in as many patient visits as they can — they allot him plenty of time for each one. 

I did get forgotten one time but thankfully the doctor noticed that the exam room door was closed. It caused them to have a new policy that no one leaves for lunch until all rooms are empty. 

The hardest part for me when it comes to waiting is that I was brought up to get to appointments early which then leads to a longer wait time if they’re delayed. 

Honored Contributor

When I have a medical appointment, I pretty much block off that day  for that appointment so if am delayed I am not on a time constraint.    I have waited as long as  an hour and a half past my appointment on busy days....that’s life today.  Emergencies might come up...and so your appointment is pushed back. Whatever. I do not get to worried about this. 

Honored Contributor

I waited 1 hour in the patient room....got up, got dressed and walked out.  They never bothered to tell me he was running behind......I would NEVER wait that long today.

Trusted Contributor

Depends on the situation.  If an emergency comes up for the doctor, I would just reschedule.

I had one doctor who had the rudest staff.  I loved her assistant, but the front desk - ugh.  The last time I went to her, when I walked out, that was the end for me.  My appt was for 12:45p.  I was the only one in the waiting room.  At 1:45p, I'm finally called in.  From the room, I could hear the doctor on a personal phone, laughing away.  I get it, we all make personal calls.  But at this point, I was already waiting an hour.  At 2:30p, Doc comes into my room.  "Oh sorry, I'm running a little late today".  Would she have waited 2.5 hrs for me??

That was it for me.  This was the worst of all the waiting times, but it was the last.

Now I go to a large medical group.  My appt in October was for 3:45p.  I got there about 3:20p, knew I was early, had my book to chill.  At 3:23p, I hadn't even moved my bookmark, Stacey called me in and I was out the door before my set appt.  Now that doesn't happen all the time, but I don't think I've waited more than 10 mins.

Honored Contributor

It’s pretty difficult to wait indefinitely for a doctor if you’re working and/or have kids at home. If it’s urgent of course, I’d wait but otherwise after 45 minutes, I’m going to reschedule. 

Valued Contributor

Typically, I wait 5 minutes in the waiting room and 5 minutes in the room for my PCP.

Two years ago, I had a few appointments with an ENT. Again, only 5 minutes in the waiting room and 5 minutes in the room.

Honored Contributor

Wait times are currently pretty good.  I think I found the nitch of picking the best time.  I do not like waiting, but I do not leave.  It's been no longer than an hour. 

Respected Contributor

My husband waited over five hours for a doctor. He changed doctors finally.