Honored Contributor

Re: How long do you have to sleep to feel caught up?

I honestly wish I knew!

My schedule is all over the place. And I know that's not good for me. I usually average about 6 hours. I'm definitely a night person. It's always taken me a while to get going in the morning. I'm not a coffee drinker.  I used to get up around 5 when I taught full time, and grade papers until 2 a.m. or so. I would come home Friday, and crash until DH got in around 9 or so.

These days, it depends on when I'm needed. Most mornings I'm out. Weekends are busy. Sometimes I can sleep in Mondays, sometimes not.  If I have an early morning I usually take a cat nap on the couch late afternoon- whether I want to or not!

One thing about me - once I go to bed I SLEEP! I don't wake up until my alarm goes off. And I have always relied on the snooze button. In college I kept my alarm clock across the room, so I HAD to get out of bed to turn it off!  I never hear DH (an early bird) get up at all. At least at one time I heard the baby monitor- I actually worried about that when I was expecting!   Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Annnnnddddd....it's 4:08 AM and I've been wide awake since 2:40. 

I have read the QVC boards, gone through Facebook and watched endless You Tube videos.  I've checked the Rakuten cash back for several sites. I checked my lottery numbers and did not win Mega Millions last night.  I lost at todays Wordle.   I went ahead and took my daily Thyroid medication because, well, what else is there to do in the middle of the night?  

I have the tv on with the volume muted.  I probably will go back to sleep at some point but I will just doze.  And then be awake for the day by 6.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal... It's 4 am and I'm still up but l did take a 4-hour nap earlier...which l don't do very often. I actually went to bed for my nap! I have fibromyalgia so l require more sleep than your average person because fatigue is one of my biggest symptoms! Most of my adult life when l was working I had insomnia. Took me forever to fall asleep then l was wide awake at 4:30 am...unable to fall back to sleep. I was fine at work in the morning but at about 2:30 in the afternoon l couldn't wait to go home... but when l retired at 55, l was soooo happy because l could sleep and sleep l did because l am taking an anxiety medication. I sleep so good !!! I'll sleep at least 4 straight hours...waking up to use the bathroom then go back to bed for another 4 or 5 hours. This is most nights but not every night. I usually fall asleep in my chair at night while watching TV. Sorry this is so long but l feel very blessed that l went from having insomnia for many, many years and now l sleep like a baby! 😊
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Been trying to catch up for 70 years!

Respected Contributor

It is critical for me to have 9 hrs of sleep each night due to a medical condition. If I miss my hours, the dr said you cannot " catch up"...so I use my phone's sleep app to help me get in my hours. You may try taking a nap when you can work it into your schedule. Since retiring, I know taking a short nap in the afternoon seems to help me get my  "second wind" for the rest of the day. " Power naps" are said to be good for good for any age. 

Respected Contributor

I am an 8 hour gal, but can't remember the last time I was able to get it!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield