Honored Contributor

How long do you have to sleep to feel caught up?

I'm kind of tired, and wonder how long does a person need to sleep to feel refreshed again?  I'm no longer sure. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How long do you have to sleep to feel caught up?

Each person is so different with how much they need but for me its never enough. I'm always tired but I'm used to being tired. 

The times I have spurts of energy I'm so happy and grateful.

So I guess whatever disadvantages we have there is that. That we might feel so much appreciation and never take for granted the times when we feel good.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I am the world's worst sleeper. Every single night. I usually can get to sleep, but I don't stay asleep.  If you need someone to talk to at 3 AM, feel free to give me a call and we can visit. 

I haven't "slept in" since my 20's. That concept is foreign to me. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I am the world's worst sleeper. Every single night. I usually can get to sleep, but I don't stay asleep.  If you need someone to talk to at 3 AM, feel free to give me a call and we can visit. 

I haven't "slept in" since my 20's. That concept is foreign to me. 

@gidgetgh Count me in.  I often wake up in the middle of the night, for what seems like no reason at all.  Sometimes I turn on the TV and drift back to sleep if I am lucky.  Other times I toss and turn.  Sometimes I get up and snuggle with my dog on the floor.

I am tired most of the time too, and it sucks.  My DH takes melatonin every night.  I hate to be on any kind of pills, but I may just start doing that to see if it helps.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I'm usually at my best after about 7 hours of sleep which I get regularly. But sometimes that falls short so I just take a short 15 to 20 minute nap the following afternoon and then I'm good to go again.

Honored Contributor

Sleep needs are individual.  Only you can answer your question.

Respected Contributor

I have always been a poor sleeper.  Lately I go to bed at 10:00 pm and I have no difficulty falling asleep but wake every half hour until about 3:00 am.  I have to leave for work by 8:00 so I try to get up by at least 7:00.  SInce we came back from vacation this weekend I am having a really hard time getting up on time to leave for work.   If I could sleep better between 10:00 pm and 3:00 am, I probably could get up around 6:00 and have had enough sleep. 

Super Contributor

@gidgetgh I could have written this post.

I can usually fall asleep but I can't stay asleep. I have NEVER slept

for more than 3 hrs straight and am ususally up every 2 hrs.

Have tried so many things including sleeping pills but nothing works.

I am used to being tired --it's just normal for me.

I envy people who can get a good nights rest.

Honored Contributor

I go to bed when I'm tired and get up when I wake up.

Most afternoons, I'll have a short nap.

I don't keep track of time - just follow my body's rhythms.

Esteemed Contributor

(thread title)

@qualitygal 

That phrase has never passed my common sense, whatever! I worked every shift that exists, and just last weekend, I had zero sleep for close to 40+ hours. Catch up?

Now in a road race a runner can "catch up", the longer the race, the more time to "catch up"! Sleep? To me there is no such thing, and I have learned that over decades of sleepless days/nights and afternoons.

For me, any time I took what some consider, a nap, I felt more tired than had I kept on going. If I sleep more than 5-6 hours a day /night whatever, regardless of hours straight I have been awake? My body reacts poorly in comparison to less sleep.

The saying is: "as we get older, we need more sleep"!  Well, the we does not include me. My past history of sleep has not changed, and if so, so little my brain has not registered it.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)