Trusted Contributor

Re: How long can you go without spending any money?

I go to Walmart about twice a week for groceries and household supplies.  I do not keep much on hand.  But I could go about 2 weeks other than that.  

I live at our lake house in the summer and clothes shopping there is very limited.  I miss it, but it is good for the budget.

Honored Contributor

How long can you go is different than how long you do go but it depends.  If I waited to buy things I could go quite a while but I do buy from Amazon frequently.  When I find I need something, rather than going to a store, I almost always find it with Prime so I order right away and sometimes several times a week depending on what I need or want.  It actually saves me money because those items such as the soap I like, dog treats, makeup, cookies or candy, etc.  I order is all I buy but if I go to a store for just one item I end up buying much more than what I need.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can go a week or more....easy. I only leave the house once a week to grocery shop.  The older I get, the less I need. I have everything I need. Maybe that is why I save so much  more money then I spend.

Respected Contributor

Unless I am flat on my back sick at home I spend every day.  I cant imagine staying in the house most of the time.  

Respected Contributor

Maybe a day or two.   

Respected Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Very rarely will I go a day without spending on something. But from what I deduce from reading many posts is I am in a much different life stage than most of you. 

LOL! I'm spending a lot more now than when I was working. Lunch with friends, going to movies, classes etc. Not to mention travel. We saved our whole lives to be able to go out and have fun! Part of that to me Is shopping.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

I am going to try not to buy anything but food and gas in April! Hopefully I can add months to this. i am debt free but spend too much money on makeup and purses. 

Honored Contributor

I hate to say it, but I spend money almost every day. I'm either paying bills or buying food or ordering something from the Q. The other day I mentioned to my husband that I wanted an old Vette. He said I already had an old vet.LOL I guess if I didn't have any money I wouldn't spend it, I'm afraid of debt.

Esteemed Contributor

I never really thought about it. I have spent money on something every day this week whether it be gas, eating lunch out, picking up something I need from the grocery store. It doesn't have to be a big purchase but it always seems like I need something.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I can go a week or more....easy. I only leave the house once a week to grocery shop.  The older I get, the less I need. I have everything I need. Maybe that is why I save so much  more money then I spend.

Do you mean that literally @SeaMaiden? I mean some people say they don't leave the house but in reality they walk their dog or go for a walk themselves just to get out or go to the library to get some books. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK