Honored Contributor

Re: How long can you go without spending any money?

I take it in spells.    Sometimes I can go an entire week.    Eating at home and bringing leftovers for lunch.   If the car is full of gas, I can go a week without filling up.   I have a long commute.

But then it seems I have to spend, spend, spend to make up for it!   If I eat at home all week, then I find myself out of EVERYTHING.    If it weren't for the furbabies, I could probably go 2 weeks without spending.

I'm pretty low-maintenance.

@Carmie

Honored Contributor

Only if I'm too sick in bed and don't have the energy to go online.

Esteemed Contributor

I like your question. Just got home from my monthly Costco trip and spent quite a bit -- but saved a bit while I spent a bit. [hamster wheel] Took a personal day off work to take care of other business. Husband's birthday so I spent $$ there. Filled up the gas tank. Stopped by traditional grocery store. More money. Stopped by ATM and pulled out some cash. Paid some bills this morning. I spent a lot of money today.

Last week felt great -- except for one coffee/day at work and gasoline -- I played a game with myself and didn't spend any money. Love the way that feels.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting question @Carmie...I'm going to say that I can go 2 or 3 days, max.  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

I spend a lot of money on QVC and some on HSN.  I enjoy sending people surprise gifts.  Today I had a friend who had some major dental work done so I had a bouquet of flowers sent to her.  It was worth the money.

Sometimes (like some of you) I get bored buying things and just stop.  Right now I can't get out much physically so I watch TV a lot (spend money).

I'm looking forward to new knees and Spring, then I'll be home way less.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@scatcat My daughter says she spends money on coffee every day she works , even though she can make coffee at home.  

I guess if you work and are not retired, you have more opportunities and places to spend money.

Ok. I rarely go out for coffee - I make 2 cups of Costco brand coffee a day for DH and me.  I'm not sure if you were assuming I blow money on coffee. 

Honored Contributor

Not long, I cook from scratch usually and buy fresh produce a couple of times a week.

That, and it's always something.  Last night the charger cord for my iPad died, so today I'm going to order the one Amazon makes that works with an iPad.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I spend a lot of money on QVC and some on HSN.  I enjoy sending people surprise gifts.  Today I had a friend who had some major dental work done so I had a bouquet of flowers sent to her.  It was worth the money.

Sometimes (like some of you) I get bored buying things and just stop.  Right now I can't get out much physically so I watch TV a lot (spend money).

I'm looking forward to new knees and Spring, then I'll be home way less.

@Annabellethecat66

Sending you best wishes on your new knees!  I'm having a replacement done in a couple of months.  Hoping for good things for both of us.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

My limit is about 2 weeks too.  The only things I need are groceries and gas. I don't use as much gas now that I'm retired.  I used to fill up my gas tank weekly and now I only fill it once a month.

@cotton4me  I love that about being retired, a lot fewer trips to the gas station!   I usually only fill up once a month now, maybe more in the spring and summer when I take more day trips.

Honored Contributor

I usually go to the grocery at least once, maybe twice a week. But other than that, I can and do go 2-3 weeks without spending on other things. Sometimes though, I can get on a spending spree and buy, buy, buy, so I guess it all balances out.
"To each their own, in all things".