Valued Contributor

Re: How long can you go without spending any money?

@SeaMaiden same here..don't need all new stuff..daughters in law have everything they need..we kid about who will take our stuff when we are gone...we do eat out more than we should, but that is all..buy clothing only if we need something specific that we don't have...

I'm not a minimalist, but hate to see every inch of someone's home cluttered up with the "newest" stuff...

Honored Contributor

I haven't made any purchases while reading this thread.Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

I buy in spurts from online/Amazon.  Also, Subscribe and Save.  I am so happy my husband had switched to groceries put into your trunk at the grocery store.  He cut his hand this week and I would have been stuck with groceries--buying.

Esteemed Contributor

I can go weeks without spending money. If you are talking lunch, I dont work anymore so I eat at home. lol..My husband buys the groceries and the gas for the 2 cars which each get filled once a month or so because we live close to his job and I rarely drive much anymore. Of course house type bills are paid once a month and we go out every Sunday to movies and or out to dinner. But if I see something on QVC or wherever I buy it, but Im not a big shopper at all like most women..lol.. I never buy on impulse either.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My sister and I were discussing how many days we have gone without spending any money, as in using cash or a cc to buy something.

Did not include paying household bills like electric, gas or mortgage or paying on CC.

I have probably gone a couple of weeks if my groceries are stocked up and I haven't driven much.

Sometimes many months go by where I don't buy any clothing or household items that are not food products.

A tank of gas and groceries seems to call to my wallet most often.

@Carmie

I don't "stock up" like many people do, for several reasons, so I don't go very long w/o buying something. I eat fresh, whole food/vegetables so I'm buying groceries a few times per week. 

Honored Contributor

I think 3 days, maybe 4 is as long as I have gone without buying something and that would be in the first few weeks after Christmas when I'm all shopped out.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

10 days, then we need milk.  I am moving my Rx from Costco pharmacy to Rx directly from mail because I couldn't get out of Costco without buying goodies.  Pent up consumerism when I don't buy for a month, so I end up with a bad color lipstick or a book I never get to

Honored Contributor

Just a couple of days. The only way l could go longer is if l lost internet service in my house!  Woman Frustrated  Woman LOL

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

I spend lots of money in binges: sometimes I'm not buying much of anything using up my pantry. But many times once I start buying, I just get a high and spend, spend, spend.

I'm happy when not spending and happy when spending. When I'm not in a "buying mode", nothing tempts me.

I don't really make an effort to NOT spend. If the CC is burning, I'm aware of it and don't care. I just think I have the right to spend or not spend.

Course I'm not going to go bankrupt....

Trusted Contributor

At this stage, we are both retired, we go out to lunch almost daily, and I meet friends for coffee.  I also shop for groceries quite a lot

because in spite of going out to lunch, we maybe focus too much on food. 

I justify this:  I want to pretty much do as I please after working so many years in a demanding career.

I am not a crazy spender, but within reason, I spend as I see fit.

Bottom line:  probably spend every day.