Honored Contributor

Re: How is it that you can read obituaries daily

In our town if you know the funeral home you can read the obit on their website and I think they stay there for up to a year.

Super Contributor

Obituaries are no longer news articles published by the local paper, most of them are revenue producing "advertisements" that the family buys. The company that provides this service is legacy.com. That is why the free viewing disappears after awhile.

"Founded in 1998, Legacy.com collaborates with more than 1,500 newspapers in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, U.K. and Europe to provide ways for readers to express condolences and share remembrances of loved ones.

As the leader in the online memorial and obituary market, Legacy.com draws more than 24 million unique visitors each month, making it one of the 50 most visited websites in the U.S. In addition to hosting more than 20 million obituaries, Legacy.com also provides newspapers with online solutions for their celebration, pet and public notice categories.

Legacy.com is headquartered in Evanston, Illinois, with information technology facilities in nearby Naperville, Illinois. The U.K. and European markets are supported through our London office. In Europe, we also manage iAnnounce, whose parent company, Web Announcements Ltd., was acquired by Legacy.com in 2013. Legacy.com is a privately held company. For more information, visit www.legacy.com."

Honored Contributor

I spend hours looking for obituaries every day. Our local funeral homes maintain access to their obituaries for years. I also use obituaries.com, and legacy.com, besides the other funeral home websites I have saved in my Favorites file.

Honored Contributor

My DH googles older obits for research all the time, never any kind of fee.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/4/2014 Shelbelle said:

My DH googles older obits for research all the time, never any kind of fee.

How does he do that? Every site I go in they offer a free trail for x amount of days. I prefer not to go that route.

I have tried many of the other suggestions to no avail.

Thanks, Jamma

Respected Contributor

On 7/3/2014 redtabby said:

Obituaries are no longer news articles published by the local paper, most of them are revenue producing "advertisements" that the family buys. The company that provides this service is legacy.com. That is why the free viewing disappears after awhile.

"Founded in 1998, Legacy.com collaborates with more than 1,500 newspapers in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, U.K. and Europe to provide ways for readers to express condolences and share remembrances of loved ones.

As the leader in the online memorial and obituary market, Legacy.com draws more than 24 million unique visitors each month, making it one of the 50 most visited websites in the U.S. In addition to hosting more than 20 million obituaries, Legacy.com also provides newspapers with online solutions for their celebration, pet and public notice categories.

Legacy.com is headquartered in Evanston, Illinois, with information technology facilities in nearby Naperville, Illinois. The U.K. and European markets are supported through our London office. In Europe, we also manage iAnnounce, whose parent company, Web Announcements Ltd., was acquired by Legacy.com in 2013. Legacy.com is a privately held company. For more information, visit www.legacy.com."

Interesting information, thanks for posting. I was trying to find an obit the other day and noticed Wash Post no longer seems to offer a search feature, maybe they do as a paid subscriber but not interested in doing that.

Someone told me recently that many are no longer publishing obits in local papers but going the route of using facebook to publish it. Guess another sign of the times.