Trusted Contributor

Re: How high can rents get to before people go homeless?

@Kachina624 wrote:

Some of your rents sound atrocious but how would you like to live in Manhatten?  With the occupancy rate being what it is, it sounds as though there's been a migration out of the city.

Screenshot_20220731-123834_kindlephoto-499612752.png

@Kachina624   Rents in Manhattan have always been high.

Now rents in Jersey City (in New Jersey)  where I grew up, are even 

higher.

$5,500 is the average.   So, the rent in some places is much higher than $5,500.

My son recently moved from Jersey City to North Carolina.  The  rent for the apartment he left in Jersey City is now  $6,700 a month.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/report-jersey-city-most-expensive-u-s-city-to-rent-at-an-averag...

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Esteemed Contributor

If your rent goes up by $500 monthly then its time to look for new housing. There's always a way ( less convenient location, fewer amenities, sharing with others, mobile, older structure, etc).  I'm fortunate as my home is paid off in Show Low but its value has nearly doubled this year ( hence bigger property taxes).  I have neighbors who've recently moved to other, less expensive states.  Don't know your situation but flexibility is key.  When I was on my own I once had to move from my 2 bedroom to a 3 bedroom ( going from living alone to 2 roommates).  I feel that there is going to be more shared housing among non related adults. Btw my 33 old son moved in with us to save $ ( he and we are very glad he did).

Trusted Contributor

I feel all of your pain.  I never dreamed of this happening but it has happened to us in our apartment complex as well.  Mine went up $105 this year.  I got them down by half but I dont expect that will happen next year.  I have lived here since 1996 and my rent has never gone up more than $15, $20 or $25 each lease renewal. To top it off, here, the apartments are deteriorating and they can't seem to find capable hard working maintenance people.  There are no other choices in my area. Don't live in a big city, population about 12,000.  We have tons of students rentals or senior communities which are 4 times what my current rent is.   I think the whole thing is dispicable and it is like all the landlords got together and decided....if we all do it there is nothing renters can do. 

Esteemed Contributor

The average rent for a 930 sq ft apt in my city of Peoria, Az is from $1550 to almost $2000 a month. A house would be much higher. Peoria is just a normal city outside Phoenix, nowhere near Scottsdale. I can only imaging what Scottsdale rents are. 

Honored Contributor

There are already people who have relinquished their rented residences due to increases they cannot afford.  I would say however high they are now.

Frequent Contributor

My daughter's 2 bd/2 bath apt went from $1550 to $2100 when she went to renew.  She now owns a 3 bd/2 bath house with 1900+sq ft and pays $2200 morgage.  That was north of Orlando.  She was lucky she found a house for a good deal.  Already updated.

Honored Contributor

See if there's a Sr Living place or places you could go into.  Check with your City Senior Housing and any other city or state info that can help you out.  There probably are service you can check on.  Possibly see about Medicaid, if that might help.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I recently got my new lease offer. Last year the rent rose $50. Ok covid. But this year, $129 a month! I went to the office and asked if it was a mistake. Nope, it's right. I am beside myself. I can't afford to stay but can't afford to move. Friends tell me it's a bargain for a 2bed. But an unaffordble bargain is no bargain. I can't buy offline anymore, afraid I would not be able to keep up with the EZ pays down the line. I may cancel Christmas. I am now looking for ways to cut expenses. Cut my work phone and get all my passcodes on one phone. Cut car insurance. Three small bills are close to being paid off.  So not using those accounts anymore. Any other ways to cut costs? Is anyone else (a renter) finding it's hard to keep up?

Unfortunately, things will only get worse. People need to start moving in with family to share expenses/resources.

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I recently got my new lease offer. Last year the rent rose $50. Ok covid. But this year, $129 a month! I went to the office and asked if it was a mistake. Nope, it's right. I am beside myself. I can't afford to stay but can't afford to move. Friends tell me it's a bargain for a 2bed. But an unaffordble bargain is no bargain. I can't buy offline anymore, afraid I would not be able to keep up with the EZ pays down the line. I may cancel Christmas. I am now looking for ways to cut expenses. Cut my work phone and get all my passcodes on one phone. Cut car insurance. Three small bills are close to being paid off.  So not using those accounts anymore. Any other ways to cut costs? Is anyone else (a renter) finding it's hard to keep up?

Unfortunately, things will only get worse. People need to start moving in with family to share expenses/resources.

Are you living with family?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LisaMofSLC 

I surely do feel for you.  I am not a renter and can only tell you what you probably already know.  A simple rule is if you do not need it, do not buy it. This includes all things.  I've read many articles and writings about how to save money, and for most of it, most is useless.  How to save on travel, how to save when out dining, how to save on this and that etc... if one really wants to save, don't buy it in the first place.  There were times in my life where I barely had the proverbial pot to p in.  I have been lucky, blessed, whatever one prefers to call it, to always pull through.  I wish you all the best and hope it works out for you.

Honored Contributor

daughter is in a one bedroom, one bath high rise apartment with security in philadelphia.....$2000 a month (does not include parking.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein